Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   1st Day Potty Training, How Am I Doing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450448)

TypeAMom 10-04-2012 01:01 PM

1st Day Potty Training, How Am I Doing?

So today we started the 3 day method. I talked it up with daughter for a week or so beforehand and we've been mentioning the potty almost daily for over a year now. We give her the choice but don't pressure her too much. Yesterday she picked out a couple salty snacks and juice (HUGE treat for her) and we discussed again what was going to happen and were getting her excited for Potty Training Weekend. It's suppose to be 3 days, but I'm devoting 5 days to it, plus all of the follow up needed and later nap and night time training. I had her sit on the potty first thing this morning. She came up w/ a potty song, but nothing happened. We had breakfast, then she didn't want to pee on the potty when she had to go and therefore peed mostly on the floor. She finished on the potty and I told her how proud I was and how awesome it was that she peed on the potty. Later, the same thing happened and this time I kinda forced her to use the potty. She hated this just as much as me telling her to try to use the potty. Later still, she had to pee, but this time I put the potty right next to her but didn't push it. I figured pee on the floor was better than a sad toddler. She ended up pooping. into the potty. while standing. Not what I was going for, but I was still excited for her. She was upset the whole time. Since she had lunch before the poo, I tried a nap at her regular time. I got her diaper on, then went in the other room for less than a minute. She used that time to jump off her bed into the protruding corner of 2 walls. An egg on her head, an ice pack and 30 mins. later, I got her ready for nap. That was almost an hour ago and she's still not asleep which is fine b/c I tell her she just needs to rest and not falling asleep is ok. Can you guys evaluate me on how you think I'm doing so far? She's been showing the signs for over a year, so I really want to give this 3 day method a real effort, but don't want to scar my child (like by having her cry every time she has to pee or poop) in the mean time. Any tips for the afternoon and remaining days? Thank you!!!

stephbrown13 10-04-2012 01:36 PM

Re: 1st Day Potty Training, How Am I Doing?

Isn't the three day method no diapers at all? I just used it for my DS and it worked great. He was 27 months. It didn't really click for him until day 3 (I too devoted 5 days). For us the entire first day was nothing but accidents. Everytime I'd just remind him in a happy upbeat way to "tell me when you need to go potty! the pee/poo goes in the toilet!"

TypeAMom 10-04-2012 06:34 PM

The 3 day thing I read online said dipes were ok for naps and bed time, but I got the feeling that there are more than one 3-day plans. This afternoon, we ended up getting another poo on the potty (again standing up) and 2 sit down pees. We had lots of misses and while I made sure she had lots of clean socks for accidental pee running down her leg, I didn't realize that I'd need to change my socks multiple times, too. Today was completely draining (no pun intended!). I'm hoping she gets it more as the days go on like your son did. I really need to figure out why she's crying and refusing to sit when she knows it's about to come out. Why would she all of a sudden be scared of a small potty chair that she's sat on multiple times before?

TypeAMom 10-05-2012 07:46 PM

So today we got 1 poo and 14 or so pees on the potty. Only one accident, but that was because it was past her bed time and company had just arrived, so she was distracted. She didn't cry as much today, but in the AM, she held in her pee for 2 hours after she knew she had to go. I felt so bad for her, but couldn't force her. When she absolutely had to go, she sat on the potty and went. Yeah.

TypeAMom 10-05-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephbrown13 (Post 15769665)
Isn't the three day method no diapers at all?

I looked again and there are at least two 3-day methods. One is undies are ok and no diapers even at nap and night time. The other is no pants or undies at home for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!! and pants only when going out for the next 3 months!!!!!! and diapers are ok for nap and night. I did no pants or undies for the past 2 days except when sleeping when I utilized dipes and pants. We did put pants on when company came over, but that's also when the accident occurred. We definitely won't be doing naked bum this winter, but I'll try the no undies thing with pants for a while when we're home. Daycare needs undies and pants, though, so lets hope she's good to go by then. I think I'll try nap time training in the next 1 to 3 weeks and will then do night time training after that.

paggie88 10-07-2012 02:00 AM

I don't know about the three day method, but I had a different alternative. My DD was 18 mos when I started her. It was not successful because I failed to be consistent. I was pregnant and tired. When she was about to turn two which was right around the time that I was gonna give birth, my husband and I came up with a strategy and agreed. For a whole week straight, we took her to use the restroom every 2-3 hr regardless if she had to pee/poo or not. We just wanted her to get the hang of going to use the restroom and to understand that that is where poo and pee goes. She comprehended that pee/poo means she needs to go although she uses the two words interchangeably. Couple days into potty training, she grasped the idea and actually started peeing and pooping into the toilet. Each time she went, we all applauded and told her how proud we were. We gave her treats, too. The second week around, she just picked up and was potty trained except for at night time. You really have to be persistent, and have her go even if she doesnt want to.

stephbrown13 10-08-2012 09:28 AM

Sorry, I didn't see that there were updates. Great job OP it sounds like its going well! Its a bit exhausting at first, I remember feeling like I literally couldn't let DS out of my sight haha. But after awhile it gets better and now it's so much easier.