Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Are you winging it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450465)

jesajane 10-04-2012 01:47 PM

Are you winging it?

Happy Thursday!!!

Does anybody else feel like you are winging it at home schooling? This is my first year home schooling. I have my first grade daughter and then 19 month old twins to chase around.

I've never been much of a planner. I've learned that the best laid plans usually get screwed up. But, I knew I would have to be disciplined to teach my daughter. Organized and prepared.

I started out well. But, the stuff she's learning really isn't that hard. Of course, if things were more planned out, I would expand our school day by adding in projects and stuff. But those projects aren't necessary. She is understanding what she is learning. They would just be fun. I'd rather have fun doing something not school related. Like going for a hike. Does everything have to be tied into schooling? For the state requirements, sure, but not for me or my daughter.

Anyway, this week was just crazy. I'm feeling like I'm winging it more and more.

Is this normal? Can you relate? Any advice?

TJR2119 10-04-2012 04:50 PM

Re: Are you winging it?

I felt like that when we first started homeschooling. This year I spent a LOT of time planning ahead. Of course nothing is set in stone but I can easily swap out what isn't working for us. I feel a lot better and more organized having our lesson plans done already. Then each weekend I spend a little bit of time fine tuning what will work for our week based on where we are and how the previous week worked for us.

jesajane 10-04-2012 06:55 PM

That's a great idea. I might be able to do that next year. This year was a little bit of a last minute decision. I was taking Sunday to do lesson plans, but that kinda fizzled. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

iris0110 10-04-2012 11:49 PM

I had a plan, it all went out the window this year. Right now I am winging it for Tharen but the plan is still in place for Kearnan. There is always the chance that the plan will completely change at any given moment. I've had to embrace the idea of learning from life. We are not exactly unschooling but we are on the edge. I think we are pretty close to Waldorf style schooling for Tharen, school at home for Kearnan. Kearnan would love to do what Tharen is doing but he just doesn't learn that way (I think he is jealous of the time Tharen is getting and then the free time too). Obviously eventually I would like to get back to more of a plan but for right now we are just going with the flow and trying to let things go. So long as he is learning I am going to let it happen. The alternative is putting him in PS because he wasn't going to go along with my plan.

jesajane 10-05-2012 07:43 AM

I feel like we are doing the bare minimum.
I love the Waldorf style and I wish I had found out about it before I purchased my curriculum. I guess, if I end up doing that program next year, then if we aren't completely structured this year, it'll be ok. I just worry about Erinn getting behind. Here in NY, there is no testing until 4th grade, but that may change in the near future. For now, I have time to catch her up in case I mess this thing up royally.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-05-2012 10:02 AM

I have a boxed curriculum, but, I'm still winging it a little. I'm not winging it as far as curriculum goes, but what we do when. I have 5 kids 6 and under and another due any day now. Some days we just don't get in what I want to. And, right now we are sort of on a break. I have a lot of OB appts and other things going on right now too. So, we aren't getting much school in at all. I'm winging it as to when we can actually get it done.

We are also doing the bare minimum even though our curriculum includes more. Mostly, we focus on Bible, phonics and math. (1st grader) If we are lucky we will get in the science included with the curriculum, but often we don't get in more than reading it. But, my son is very into nature and animals. He is constantly doing that type of science. We almost never get in the art or music and I also cut out a lot of the activities that are included with the curriculum because I just can't get to them but want to keep moving on the phonics and math so we don't get behind.

So, technically, we aren't winging it, but we still are. :laugh:

R055ANA 10-05-2012 10:24 AM

Hi there Jesajane!

We are winging it as well.

Don't worry about winging it because as you said it is working out for your family.

You asked in your post does everything have to be tied into schooling and it seems like so much we do w/ our children is learning. You mentioned a hike. This is a field trip, it's exercise and learning about nature (science). Look at how many things you covered during the hike which you enjoyed w/ your family.

Don't worry about your DD falling behind @ this point. She is learning tons and I know you will be happily surprised w/ her testing results when she hits 4th grade. PA requires standardized testing in grades 3, 5 and 8. I have administered the test to a few children and spoke w/ many others about their homeschoolers standardized test. Before the test the parents fret and wonder how the kid is going to do, after the test just about all of them say they wish they wouldn't have worried because the kids did great.

Best wishes and keep having fun learning w/ your DD!

FTingmama 10-06-2012 09:32 AM

We have been winging it this first yr as well and I'm just ordering our first real curriculum.. I just need more structure now to keep up but DD did great even with no structure or curriculum ... and we had no schedule at all either, did school everyday she would as much as we could fit in that day no matter what day it was.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-06-2012 09:50 AM

we are very casual and dont follow a plan or curriculum. i just make sure that we are following the guidelines of the state. none of my kids have been to PS.

Vivhop98 10-06-2012 11:15 AM

Yes! We do! It works for us and relaxing and going with the flow is the only thing that has kept us keep homeschooling. We have one curriculum for Math and that is all. We hike, play outside a lot, go to park days, play tons of games, read lots of books, bake, make breakfast,dinner, etc. a strict schedule just doesn't work for our family.