Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Oatmeal (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450466)

nursemama23 10-04-2012 01:56 PM

Oatmeal

Looking for some oatmeal recipes. Either something I can make in the crockpot or stovetop. Want to be able to reheat in the morning before school. Thanks! Any other make ahead breakfast ideas would be great! Tired of the kids eating cereal (and the cost too)!

CMamma 10-04-2012 03:14 PM

Re: Oatmeal

Are you using steel cut oats? I think they are the best for slow cooker oatmean. Just put in 1 c oats & 1.5-2 c water, depending on the consistancy you like & cook on low overnight. Add whatever you like in your oatmeal as well... sugar, fruit, spices, etc. House will smell great & you'll wake up to a cooked breakfast.

expaik 10-04-2012 03:22 PM

My sister-in-law who is visiting made this just yesterday. Kids loved it. She found the recipe on youtube and added her own twist.

Rolled oats, chocolate chips, almonds, dates, ripe bananas, marshmallows. Just mix altogether, drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees. Flourless cookies, basically.

My guess is that you could pretty much add whatever you wanted to this! The oats and bananas are key though.

mama_to_DJM 10-04-2012 05:45 PM

Here are two oatmeal recipes that you can reheat; I've made them both several times and love them!

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares
Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal

eLiz21730 10-04-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM (Post 15770859)
Here are two oatmeal recipes that you can reheat; I've made them both several times and love them!

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares
Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal

Thanks for sharing the links! Can't wait to try the blueberry one!

knlrachel 10-04-2012 06:55 PM

subbing - I would love to know some ideas too

mama_to_DJM 10-04-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eLiz21730 (Post 15771111)
Thanks for sharing the links! Can't wait to try the blueberry one!

You're welcome! That one reheats great!

krispy79 10-04-2012 10:29 PM

Both my kids love oatmeal. We do banana & honey (add after coking), a handful of frozen berries, or apple & cinnamon (cook apples with oatmeal).
I also pre made a ton of silver dollar pancakes so they only need to be microwaved for 45sec out of the freezer. I've done waffles before but this was so much more work ;-)
I have also made omelette in advance. I whisk up eggs and milk, pour onto a lightly greased 11x20 baking sheet and cook it in the oven. When it's done, I cut it into piece put a 1/2 slice of cheese and scallions on it, fold over then freeze or put in the fridge.
I have also pre made fruit and yogurt parfaits,then just topped with granola in the morning.
I hate mornings so if I don't prep breakfast they end up eating old cereal, which they like but I don't think it's the best I can do if it's everyday.

CMamma 10-05-2012 05:47 AM

I second make ahead pancakes to reheat - we do that here regularly. When we make some for breakfast one day, we make a ton so we have some for the week & can just warm them up on busy school mornings.

Geckmumto3 10-05-2012 06:18 AM

I make steel cut oats in a bain marie in the crockpot. Makes clean up easier than doing it directly in the crock. Find a bowl that fits inside your crockpot and holds the appropriate measure of steel cut oats and water. Put it in your crock, put the oats and water in the bowl. Then pour about 2 -4 inches of water around that bowl, into the crock. Close, cook on low overnight, and breakfast is ready in the morning. You can add whatever you like to it this way, too.