Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mitral Valve Prolapse heart murmur and ABX in labor? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450496)

Kiliki 10-04-2012 03:17 PM

Mitral Valve Prolapse heart murmur and ABX in labor?

anybody have any info on this?

I was told I have a mitral valve prolapse like 6 mos ago. I've never had a heart murmur before, but BOTH of my parents have one, so I'm not surprised I've developed one.

The doc didn't "officially" diagnose me b/c they need to do an u/s to diagnose (???) but he said I do have it.

Anyway, MW says I will need ABX during labor b/c of this.

I had an IV bag of ABX w/my ODD in labor b/c of GBS. And we had a year of thrush.

I am really NOT okay with IV ABX and I am trying to figure out

1) WHY I need it? (my MW had a hard time explaining this, but we only discussed it in passing at the time b/c I had not contacted my doc's office to see whether I for sure had it or not)

2) What are the possible effects of NOT consenting to it?

Anybody know?

I'm really upset.

expaik 10-04-2012 03:19 PM

Re: Mitrol Valve Prolapse heart murmur and ABX in labor?

Strange. I have had MVP for years (nothing serious) and this was never mentioned with any of my 3 babies.

leyash 10-04-2012 03:27 PM

Re: Mitral Valve Prolapse heart murmur and ABX in labor?

What symptoms does one have with MVP?

I know nothing of anything about this, just curious.

Kiliki 10-04-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15770237)
What symptoms does one have with MVP?

I know nothing of anything about this, just curious.

well, I had kidney stones after my last baby, and my MW says sometimes stuff like that can cause you to develop this, esp if you are pre-disposed, which I am since both parents have it.

I notice I tire easier than before.

And at bedtime when I lay down, my heart is sometimes racing so fast I can't catch my breath - even though I'm laying down and doing nothing and haven't been exerting myself. It can take a while - like 5-10 mins - for my heart to calm down. If I get really upset or stressed, my heart thumps like it's gonna flop out of my chest.

Basically the way the doc explained it is that I have a leaky valve between chambers of the heart and so it doesn't seal off completely like it should and it can cause the blood to flow the wrong way a tiny bit (it's supposed to seal off so the blood only pumps one direction, mine leaks and so sometimes the blood can come back the wrong way.)

leyash 10-04-2012 03:33 PM

Geez. Is that dangerous? I mean, can it be life threatening or anything?

ktmelody 10-04-2012 03:33 PM

I have had mvp my entire life but never need abx during labor. Just during dental work. If bacteria enter your bloodstream it can infect the valve of your heart and cause heart failure.

Current recommendations now are that abx are not even needed during dental work for those with mvp, the risk is small. I have mvp and tvp so I opt for them during dental work. Lots of bacteria enter the blood stream during dental work but not labor.

I would get the opinion of an OB. It just isnt needed.

7 for now 10-04-2012 03:35 PM

I had a very leaky aortic valve. I had to have open heart surgery at 30 to have it replaced. I had 4 kids by then. The old recommendations were antibiotics in labor, they no longer are according to my cardiologist. I did get IV abx with #5 but since then just an oral dose of Kelfex about 12 hours post delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

leyash 10-04-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7 for now (Post 15770278)
I had a very leaky aortic valve. I had to have open heart surgery at 30 to have it replaced. I had 4 kids by then. The old recommendations were antibiotics in labor, they no longer are according to my cardiologist. I did get IV abx with #5 but since then just an oral dose of Kelfex about 12 hours post delivery.

Dang! This stuff is insane! :/ So sorry for all of you that have/have had health problems.

Did you have any symptoms with your leaky aortic valve?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just SUPER interested in health stuff. It's fascinating to me.

7 for now 10-04-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash

Dang! This stuff is insane! :/ So sorry for all of you that have/have had health problems.

Did you have any symptoms with your leaky aortic valve?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just SUPER interested in health stuff. It's fascinating to me.

The last year or so before my surgery was miserable. We had a two story house and I could my even climb the stairs to the second level. Thank goodness our bedroom was downstairs. I couldn't mop the floors without breathing like a ran marathon. Any kind of activity and even waking had the se effect. I could literally feel my heart beat with each beat. In fact, when I came out of surgery that was my first semi lucid comment, that I could not feel my heart beat anymore!

I knew we wanted more kids so chose a human valve over mechanical. I had to wait about 5 months for the range of sizes to be available I have had this valve for 8 years now and they last 10-15 years but no problems so far. My next valve will be mechanical because honestly healing from open heart surgery was the most painful ordeal for me. My incision opened up about the top 3 inches and I had to pack it for 3 months. The pain lasted a good year, stinging and burning when I loved my as out. Keloid scar on the part that opened. I still can't do any gym exercises that required moving arms in and out with weights.

Kiliki 10-04-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15770265)
Geez. Is that dangerous? I mean, can it be life threatening or anything?

I think it CAN be, but for the majority of ppl, no it is not.

In fact, from some of the stuff I've read a great number of people will have it and never even know.