Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Co-sleeping help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450504)

WannaBeGreen2011 10-04-2012 03:42 PM

Co-sleeping help!

First, I will admit that I win "worst mommy of the year" for this....but my co-sleeping baby fell out of our bed this morning.

We have a queen size bed up on a regular frame and I have a bed rail up on my side of the bed because thats the side baby sleeps on. This morning hubby had already left for work and I had just got back from running so I jumped in the shower. I had the baby monitor in the bathroom but apparently this is the first morning ever the baby didn't make a noise when he woke up. I assume he just crawled toward the light/noise of the bathroom and fell off the bed. I know I shouldn't have left him alone, I'm already upset enough about it, but I did.

So what do I do when we need to get up and baby's not awake? He's almost 9 months and can pull himself up on the side rail so putting one on the other side isn't an option. Nor is putting our bed on the floor--I'm just not ok with that. In the past I've tried to put him in the PNP but he wakes up, thus defeating the point.

Should I just get him up when I get up at 4:15 to go running? I really don't know what to do--not co-sleeping isn't an option, a mattress on the floor isn't an option, and I get up at 4:15 to run BECAUSE the kids are still asleep at that time. I hope I'm missing something easy! Please help me!! And don't hate on me because I let my baby fall out of the bed...I've been crying all day about it already. I'm really just stuck.

My only thought was to wake up the 5 year old and put him in my bed when we get up, opposite of the rail as a barrier, so hopefully the baby will wake him up if he gets up, then the 5 year old can holler for me to get out of the shower....

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

umphreysmommy 10-04-2012 03:46 PM

Could you just wait to shower until the kids are up?

escapethevillage 10-04-2012 03:50 PM

Re: Co-sleeping help!

How old is he? (ignore me.. I just saw that you posted his age)

Can you just teach him how to get out without falling? Or at least falling safely? (feet first)

Anyway, I think you should try to teach him to slide out feet first. He'll still land on his back, but at least not head first. Plus, at this age, I bet he learned from today, and just needs a little guidance.

Very soon, he'll be a pro at getting in and out of any bed he wants.

m0mof6 10-04-2012 03:53 PM

My LOs always fell out at least once but most of them several times and earlier than yours. It seems at each stage they had to relearn being careful of the edge. I let them spend sometime on the bed while awake to learn to be careful of the edges. I watch and catch them before (or while if they are extra fast) they fall off. They learn to stay away from the edges and to call out if I'm not there. I usual don't think to do this until after they fall off a time or two.

WannaBeGreen2011 10-04-2012 03:56 PM

The baby is 9 months. I've seen people talk about teaching the babies to climb out safely starting at 6 months or so but I try to teach him and he just loses interest.

I could try to shower after they're awake, I suppose.. But my mornings are pretty planned down to the minute unfortunately. And i dont like having two kids roaming the house while i shower. But for the health of my baby I guess I could find a way to re-schedule my mornings... Thanks for the idea.

mamma_z 10-04-2012 04:23 PM

At around 8 months (when he started crawling), any time DS moved near the edge of the bed we would turn him so his feet dangled off the edge. He was still on his belly. Soon he started grabbing onto the sheets/blankets and holding on while he slid off.

He did fall off a couple times, poor baby. He was clumsy when he first woke up and seemed to forget about or not see the edge of the bed and would try to crawl off half asleep until he was about 10 months old. So we had to be nearby and quick to respond when he woke. but now he will either sit and wail until I come, or slide off carefully and find me if I take to long.

dani_p 10-04-2012 04:46 PM

Pillows on the floor? That way, baby won't actually get hurt but would probably get scared. I know that a couple of harmless yet scary falls is all it took for my daughter to learn to get on/off the bed by herself (or to stay put and yell for help ;))

WannaBeGreen2011 10-04-2012 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the help so far! And for not hating on me!

I will try turning his feet and putting pillows or a thick blanket on the floor on that side. Hopefully this works!!

Thanks mamas!!

BeccaSueCongdon 10-04-2012 05:44 PM

So you wake up at 4:15 and run and then shower after? And your hubby is with the kids while you run and then leaves when you shower? Just trying to piece it together before my "problem solving" skills kick in. :-)

dudleypippen 10-04-2012 06:12 PM

No suggestions, just hugs! My LO fell out of the bed this morning for the first time too. I knew it was going to happen eventually but it made me feel terrible. I certainly don't think you are "worst mom" material. I also failed to notice his first tooth and had to be asked about it by the babysitter- now that is worst mom ever worthy! Hope you find a solution you all can live with :)