Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How to clean oversized stuffed animals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450534)

lensesforeyes 10-04-2012 05:17 PM

How to clean oversized stuffed animals

My kids have a five foot stuffed bear lovingly named George that they love to sit/lay on when they watch TV. Today our 2y/o peed all over it. :banghead: It is way too big for the washer, any suggestions?

2+2macht4 10-04-2012 05:27 PM

Re: How to clean oversized stuffed animals

I have no idea I avoid stuffed animals like the black death and anything not washable because I am terrified what may happen.

I am assuming hand wash is all you can do maybe an enzyme cleaner like bac out?

My Sweet Blessings 10-04-2012 05:28 PM

Ok, I know I tend to go overboard since I have OCD and a lot of people say I overreact, but I'd either toss it or unstuff it, wash the "shell" and restuff with new filler from the craft store (using a 40% or 50% off coupon :giggle: ) I avoid large unwashables for this reason.

lensesforeyes 10-04-2012 05:37 PM

We've had it for over a year. Originally got it because I was sick of them peeing on the couch we had in the playroom (I had two in diapers and one newly potty trained at the time), so this was a cheaper route than getting a second new couch. I'm honestly surprised it took this long. It would likely be cheaper to replace than restuff, Costco has them again. That's $30, though, so I'm just not sure if I like that route. :( I'd like to at least try to clean it first.

Marianna1988 10-04-2012 05:39 PM

Don't laundromats usually have a HUGE washing machine? I've only ever had to use a laundromat in one place before, and it was a little rinky dink town. But they had a giant size washing machine. It was like $5 to run, but cheaper (and "greener") than tossing it.

peaches330 10-04-2012 05:52 PM

I would think the only options would be to check to see if it will fit in the washer at a laundromat or hand wash in the tub. If you couldn't do either of those then I'd probably just replace it.

My Sweet Blessings 10-04-2012 06:53 PM

hmm./. by chance would you have enough donation clothes to fill it? Maybe fill it with that? If so, then you could wash ALL of it and restuff if they pee on it again.

B's Mommy 10-04-2012 07:53 PM

It would be time consuming, but when I was a kid, we had a HUGE bear, and my mom used to unstuff it, put the stuffing in old pillow cases, sew them closed with a sewing machine, wash the pillows like 2 at a time, then rip the seams and restuff it when it all was clean. She kept those old pillow cases just for that. Lol

lensesforeyes 10-04-2012 09:08 PM

I think washing it in the tub would not be good. It it was still summer, it would be fine, but with limited hot sun I would worry about it drying, and mold is a huge problem here. If I had enough clothes, that would be brilliant! Does anybody know of stuffing that is more washer friendly? While it would take a very long time to wash the stuffing, that may be an option. Although after the water and soap (our landlord replaced our broken washer with a crappy, tiny, water waster washer :( ), it might not be enough of a savings to be worth it. I may go check out the laundromat by our house and see if it would fit, that would be the cheapest option.

Bhavana 10-05-2012 06:29 AM

I would take it outside onto the grass/ runway and hose it out completely, like drench it. Make your kids jump on it to squeeze the dirt out, and rehose it. Jump. And leave it there for the next two days to dry.

I I know Seattle is a rainy city and you are worried about mold, but just letting the urine sit in for days is also going to cause it to mold.

Maybe you could do it in the night when a particularly bright day is predicted for the next. ...the weatherman maybe your BF for now!