Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   frozen breast milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450537)

Sophia&Daria 10-04-2012 05:24 PM

frozen breast milk

So today i left my little one with my mom and grandma with 4 oz of frozen breastmilk. After awhile mom calls me asking where the milk is. I told her on the kitchen counter.

After work i find out they couldn't find it anywhere. Mom didn't know what to do and gave my almost 4 month old cow's milk. I felt horrible, horrible. Almost wanted to cry.

I searched everywhere for the milk. Fridge, trash, counters, bathroom, under the couch, inside bowls in case my toddler girls put it somewhere. NOWHERE!

After several hours, mom telks me to come see this. I look, it is inside one counter i missed. It is sitting there with alk her spices. My almost 80 year old grandma put it ther e thinking it must be some type of frozen sugar. Then forgot about it.

Now, i have 4 oz of milk which has been in room temp for almost 9 hours. Part of the 9 hours it was frozen.

Should i use it or throw away?

Mystery 10-04-2012 07:57 PM

Re: frozen breast milk

Was it still cold? If it was still cold, not cool, I would possibly go ahead and use it immediately. But not otherwise. The rule is 8-12 hours at room temp if fresh. Previously frozen cuts that time down. I would definitely not re-freeze it or refrigerate it.

Sophia&Daria 10-04-2012 07:59 PM

Ok, thanks. I'm just going to toss it.

Palooka 10-04-2012 08:08 PM

Definitely toss it, and don't wait!

I came home from work on Friday last week to see our nanny didn't use all the frozen breast milk that I'd moved to the fridge that morning. It had thawed in the fridge, and I figured I would find a time to use it the next day. Well the weekend was wild and I forgot. Monday morning I had to run to work early, so I didn't get around to transferring milk from the freezer to the fridge, just ran straight to work without even looking in there. So what did the nanny see first thing Monday morning? A nice tube of breastmilk already thawed. Perfect! :banghead:

I called an hour after she arrived when I remembered the old milk, but it was too late. It was under 2 oz, and she and hubby both smelled the bottle (some was left) and said it smelled just fine, but I felt like the WORST mother in the whole world. My rule book says it should have been tossed Saturday afternoon, so nearly two days passed before it was fed to my baby. All my fault. :cry:

But I will say he was just fine. No upset tummy, no bad poops, nothing.

loni1090 10-07-2012 04:26 PM

Better be safe than sorry, just toss it.