Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fleece as good as wool? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450568)

rivershere 10-04-2012 07:36 PM

Fleece as good as wool?

I've been looking into trying some wool covers/soakers but it seems like you can get fleece onse cheaper. Has anyone tried both? Do they both work great or is the wool much better? I dont want to spend a lot in case I dont like it. I purchased a WAHM fleece soaker for $8 on ebay.

adjroberts 10-04-2012 07:39 PM

I use fleece and wool pretty much full time. The thicker fleece with an extra layer through the wetzone works just as good as wool IMO and 5mo DS wears fleece overnight all the time with no problems

boysniris 10-04-2012 07:42 PM

Re: Fleece as good as wool?

Fleece is similar, but not the same.

It can breathe, but many mamas report that it does not breathe quite as well so in summer their LO will be cooler in wool than in fleece. However, it still breathes better than PUL.

As far as leaking through, fleece won't hold any wetness so if the diaper is soaked the wetness will pass through the fleece. Wool can absorb a little bit of wetness before it passes through.

Care: fleece is very simple, you just toss it into the laundry -- ANY laundry. Fabric softener can help it stay soft and more wet-resistant. It resists staining so is great for playing outside or eating, etc. Wool requires more specialized care, but you can use it for several days before you need to wash it.

Fashionably Green Baby 10-04-2012 07:47 PM

Fleece is a step down from wool in a few respects IMHO but it definitely has its place and it is much more cost friendly. I have both but much prefer my wool. I do however think a double layer fleece or fleece longies/shorties are worth giving a try.

rivershere 10-04-2012 07:49 PM

What if I lanolize the fleece.. will it be water resistant? Im trying to find something for night time use. Nothing seems to work. I was thinking of using a GMD Workhorse with a fleece/wool cover.

Fashionably Green Baby 10-04-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivershere
What if I lanolize the fleece.. will it be water resistant? Im trying to find something for night time use. Nothing seems to work. I was thinking of using a GMD Workhorse with a fleece/wool cover.

You can't lanolize fleece. Lanolin is naturally found in wool. Honestly for night I would go with a double layer wool interlock (preferably a blend) and lanolize heavily.

AniMommy 10-04-2012 08:55 PM

I use fleece longies and gmd workhorses for nights and I have been really happy. I find that the fleece will hold the moisture in. not a ton, but it doesn't leak either.

I used wool for awhile. I thought it was cuter and could be used more than once. Fleece smells like pee in the morning. Wool airs out and doesn't smell.

But my DH ruined too many woolies by washing them as diaper laundry. I picked my marriage over cute pants!

rivershere 10-05-2012 08:50 PM

aaaaah. Good to know. Do you think the GMD workhorses with fleece or wool would be good for a NB ? Or should I just invest in some NB covers? I thought maybe it would be goos to invest in a few wool covers because I know I can re-use them, didn't realize I couldnt do that with fleece.

Kelbel81906 10-05-2012 09:08 PM

For a heavy wetter overnight, I would go with wool for sure. For daytime use, fleece is pretty good, but like PPer mentioned, it can get stinky more quickly. It's nice that you can just toss it in the wash though!

Skybaby712 10-05-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby
Fleece is a step down from wool in a few respects IMHO but it definitely has its place and it is much more cost friendly. I have both but much prefer my wool. I do however think a double layer fleece or fleece longies/shorties are worth giving a try.

This! You should try both :) You might find you like one better. You can always sell if you don't like either. It seems most (myself included) prefer wool, but that's JMO. Fleece smelt like pee really fast, and I change frequently. With wool DD can wear the same soaker all day and be fine. Fleece is easier to laundered, but you have to do it more often. I started with fleece, them moved to wool. We now only have wool. Fleece was my gateway to wool lol.