Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Does anyone handwash their clothes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450585)

Antebellum 10-04-2012 07:23 PM

Does anyone handwash their clothes?

So if you saw my other thread you know that our washer went out and have been doing laundry at either my grandmothers or my mothers house. We have stopped using our cloth:cry: because it's too much laundry to constantly cart too someone elses house. We have decided to wait until tax time to purchase a new washing machine but I want to know has anyone handwashed their clothes? how time consuming will it be? I want to basically hand wash our cloth diapers, our tee shirts, baby clothes, underwear and such. I will still wash towels and jeans and things at my mothers or grandmothers. I feel really guilty running their electric bills up for my familys laundry. Anywho, we have a drying rack and our regular clothes dryer. So anyone have advice? or encouragement:goodvibes: Thanks ladies! :goodvibes:

B's Mommy 10-04-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Does anyone handwash their clothes?

I did the flats and handwashing challenge a couple years ago, so if you do cloth diapers, I'd suggest going that route!! Or maybe pockets stuff with flats - anything else is just really hard to get clean! For that, I used this 5 gallon bucket with a plunger in it through the lid - I had to google directions for it, but it worked well. I think if you were to get two, one for diapers and underwear, and one for shirts, baby clothes, etc. that it wouldn't be too hard! Stain treating might be harder (but tbh, I don't ever buy dd expensive clothes, so I rarely stain treat anyway lol).

Antebellum 10-04-2012 07:43 PM

can the plunger be used in the bathtub or do i need the bucket?

B's Mommy 10-04-2012 07:57 PM

I tried it in the bathtub, and found the yucky water got on me. Lol - the bucket allows for lots of agitation, while keeping it (mostly) contained.

slimy72 10-04-2012 08:36 PM

If you google "camp style washer" lots of ideas on how to make them will come up. I don't handwash and never have but plan to next year when out camping.

lynn97 10-04-2012 08:50 PM

Get a bucket for the camp-style washer. I also did the flats challenge and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. I would suggest using flats or fsts though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

adjroberts 10-04-2012 09:22 PM

I wash clothes in the bathtub sometimes, baby clothes and underwear. Everything else is too hard/doesn't really come clean. I don't recommend it. The camp style sounds much better. I always have a sore back/neck and blisters on my hands.

alwaysfallingup 10-05-2012 05:05 PM

We use a Panda portable washing machine. You can read about it and see a video on how it works on my blog (there's a link in my siggie). I bought ours on Ebay, but you can also get them on Amazon...maybe something to save Swagbucks up for?

Antebellum 10-05-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysfallingup (Post 15775428)
We use a Panda portable washing machine. You can read about it and see a video on how it works on my blog (there's a link in my siggie). I bought ours on Ebay, but you can also get them on Amazon...maybe something to save Swagbucks up for?

:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip! and, I looove your blog.

alwaysfallingup 10-05-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmama (Post 15775611)
:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip! and, I looove your blog.

Aww, thank you! We started it so our family at home (we just moved 8 hours away from everyone we love) can keep track of what we're up to, so it's really new but the good feedback means a lot to me!

We have had the washer for...maybe a month now? And we absolutely love it. It cleans well, and the only problem we have had was it had a pretty heavy chemical/plastic smell when we opened it. So, if anyone buys one, I recommend letting it air out in a garage or covered porch or something for a few days before you use it, because it actually gave me headaches the first day. As far as performance, it does a great job providing you don't overload it and use the recommended amount of laundry detergent. Oh, and also don't forget to hook up your drain hose or you'll soak your carpet. Don't ask me how I know. :blush: