Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I don't know what to do to help my DD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450601)

Josiekitty 10-04-2012 08:22 PM

I don't know what to do to help my DD

DD is 22 months old. We think she is ready for potty training.

She starts to poop in potty chair at 6 months and eventually moving to pee and poop on a potty seat. We pretty much catch all her poop but only 60-80% on the pee. We never push her though, I ask her frequently thought the day if she wants to go pee pee and bring her there when she wakes up, after breakfast, after lunch, after nap, etc. if she go, that's fine, if not her diaper will catch it later(she wears diapers 24/7).

2 weeks ago, everything change!!! She gets upset if I ask "let's go pee pee", refuse to seat on her potty seat, we just act normal(not upset or unhappy) and say ok and let her go. If her diapers were wet and I said lets change diaper, she will look so embarrass and will not want me to touch her diaper(that's how we know she understand she did pee in her diaper but she never give us any hint when she needs to go!)

She even (twice) pee standing in the bathroom after refusing to seat on her potty seat and gets upset about it.

We don't know what we can do to help her pass this stepping stone??? Is this normal phase? How long is this phase?

1. Should we just forget about bringing her to use her potty seat and let her use diaper for a while?

2. Should we start the 3 day magic potty training to get her in underwear?

3. Should we take one day at a time, if she goes, she goes, if not, pretend everything is fine, don't stress it, wait it out?

Thanks for your advice, DD is our only child so we really have no clue what we did wrong :( or what can we do to help her.

mibarra 10-04-2012 09:29 PM

Re: I don't know what to do to help my DD

She's about 2, and the big 2 year old developmental milestone is to start exerting control over their environment by refusing to do what you want. ;) Personally, I would keep offering in a non-confrontational way, take it all calmly and in stride, and she'll probably come back around. I wouldn't force it. She may not have consistent enough body awareness to always know enough ahead of time she has to go yet, and she may just feel like you can't make her use the potty if she doesn't want to. I guess unless it was super important to you to get her PLed soon, I'd just keep doing what you're doing for awhile and see what happens. :)

my2sweets 10-05-2012 07:35 AM

This is her way to have some control over her life. Very typical and age appropriate. I would keep doing what youre doing by offering to take her, keeping it in a 'whatever will be will be' attitude, and wait this out.

R055ANA 10-05-2012 11:32 AM

Hello there Josiekitty!

It is awesome your DD has been using the potty for a while. Congrats on how things where going for several months. I want to assure you that you did nothing wrong.

It is great you are still offering her the opportunity to go and not reacting to her peeing in the diaper or on the floor.

The others have given you some great advice. I am going to suggest to maybe let her pee standing in the tub or to try to change things up to make them fun and exciting. Some examples could be getting to put the potty in a different place or putting something @ the bottom of the potty that she gets to wet or poop on (like a little piece of paper or little stick). Make things into a game instead or it seeming like another thing to get done. Maybe offering her a special toy to play w/ she can only use while sitting on the potty.

Feel free to join us over in the elimination communication forum.

Best wishes and feel free to ask more questions!

EmilytheStrange 10-05-2012 01:42 PM

I don't know about your child, but mine knows the potty that mommy uses and has never agreed to use the little potty chair. It may help if you get one of these and so she feels like she's as big as you.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-83EC-0...rds=potty+seat

DD has only ever pooped in the potty once and she did it with this seat. If you seat her on the little chair, she closes the lid, sits on top and thinks she's doing it right.

Josiekitty 10-07-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions mamas!!

Unfortunately we r a carpeted home :(. Only our small kitchen and bathroom is vinyl and tile which makes naked days difficult.

Thanks for linking us to the toilet seat, that's our stage 4 toilet seat. Stage 1, baby Bjorn little seat from 6 months, then baby Bjorn chair, then a blue handle toilet seat to put on our toilet seat then the last one we bought (the normal toilet seat w a smaller seat for kids). She refused to use the last seat and we think because it doesn't has the thick cushion she was used too ;(

Anyway, we r going to take it a day at a time and hope her strike will be over soon so we can start our 3 days naked potty train.

It is hard to get use to having to clean her poop covered butt again after all these poop free months.....today is the 3rd day she poop in diapers....so stinky.....we r spoil parents for sure :)

mjg2043 10-08-2012 04:29 AM

You have stages of toilet seats planned but she may have different ideas. Give her a choice of potties if you have them. My DS liked the adult potty. Dd liked the little potty. They were different and we needed to be flexible. And 22 months is young in my experience. 3 years - a little before for one and a little after for another - was the magic time in my house. Very little resistance because they were ready.

Fairycat 10-08-2012 04:56 AM

We went through this phase briefly too. We found reading books while he sat on the big toliet helped. We tried to make it low pressure and added stories to which helped a lot. DS got through the phase pretty quickly and not long after went to undiies 100% of the time.

EmilytheStrange 10-08-2012 11:08 AM

if it makes you feel better, we started the 3 day system today and have had 2 pees on the floor (trainers are SO not helpful) and the second one happened RIGHT after she got off the potty, which she did not pee on.

no catches. I want to give up.. but I know it's day 1... *sigh* parenting needs to be easy in atleast 1 aspect, right??