Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Having difficulty weaning, emotionally. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450693)

*TinyJoys* 10-05-2012 07:05 AM

Having difficulty weaning, emotionally.

I'm starting to wean my almost 16 month old son and I'm really struggling with my emotions. I feel like I will miss that bond we share, I feel guilty, like I'm being selfish and I worry about his health (how he will fight off illness?, will he get sick more often if I wean him?). I feel like my thoughts and emotions are a little irrational, I mean I did give him a really good start right? I feel the worst because part of the reason why I want to wean him is because I want another one. Did anyone else successfulyl get pregnant while bf'ing? Did or does anyone else have these emotions or I am just going crazy?

knodceo 10-13-2012 11:31 AM

Me too on the guilt, but not because I want more!

JKCCart 10-13-2012 12:01 PM

Re: Having difficulty weaning, emotionally.

16 months?! Great job mama! I think you should feel wonderful about how far you've gone! You should be able to still get pregnant while bfing a 16 month old, if you've already started your period, so you wouldn't HAVE to let that stop you. You may miss that bond, true, but you can still cuddle and read, cuddle and rock, cuddle and teach...etc.

All the best to you and your little man.

:hugs:

*TinyJoys* 10-14-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKCCart (Post 15806834)
16 months?! Great job mama! I think you should feel wonderful about how far you've gone! You should be able to still get pregnant while bfing a 16 month old, if you've already started your period, so you wouldn't HAVE to let that stop you. You may miss that bond, true, but you can still cuddle and read, cuddle and rock, cuddle and teach...etc.

All the best to you and your little man.

:hugs:

Thanks! :) I do feel really good about my first bf'ing experience, its been wonderful and I am very happy I made it this far (despite many comments and suggestions to stop). I will miss the bond but you're right, maybe I form it again in other ways. Since I've started my period now, I don't feel quite as rushed to stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo (Post 15806742)
Me too on the guilt, but not because I want more!

Its a difficult feeling eh? Even though you know you've given your child one of the best starts by bf'ing.

L J 10-14-2012 08:15 AM

I'm not weaning, and I can easily get pregnant while breast feeding. But I do have what I fully know is irrational guilt over the thought of dd weaning "early".

I want another but I have been putting off ttc because I feel like my supply will tank when I get pregnant.

DH is rushing me to be ready, and most of my friends that I talk to tell me that I giving her the gift of a sibling outweighs weaning "early".

My dd is nearly 14 months, so I know if she weaned because I was pregnant it wouldn't be particularly early. I nursed my oldest 38 months so I think if I don't nurse her as long I am somehow cheating her.

Logically, I agree, and I know she is healthy and that I did great giving her mama milk as long as I have. I also know that her weaning during pregnancy isn't guaranteed. But still, there is the guilt.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to tell you that you aren't alone in the feelings of guilt.

You Tell 'Em 10-17-2012 04:15 PM

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and my YDD will be 2 next month. AF returned after she was 1 year old and we didn't plan to get pregnant, it happened (we weren't preventing). Based on the amount of time from going off BC until we convinced both previous pregnancies it took 8-9 months so I wouldn't say I get pregnant "easily" since its hasn't been within 1-2 months of trying. I was/am committed to breastfeeding YDD 2 years (I only nursed my oldest way less than a year). My supply has gone down but so has her need to nurse, we cuddle a lot now. I think me being pregnant has helped with her weaning but I still hope she's interested after baby comes so I have less worry about sibling rivalry (since she'll be a little over 2 years -- ODD was just over 3 and had a much better understanding), so I can tandem (and so she can help with those early engorgement days).

doulamomma 10-17-2012 04:38 PM

I've gotten pg while nursing and nursed through 3 pregnancies. If you are having a regular cycle then their probably isn't any reason you can't get pg.

Sent from my droid

Pampered Mama 10-17-2012 05:38 PM

I nursed my oldest DS through 3 pg- got ppaf when he was 17 mos, pg when he was 21 mos( early m/c) pg again 4 months later(stillbirth at 20 weeks), pg again 4 months after that- DS self weaned at 38 months old- about 2 months before his baby sissy was born this past march!

hohaas 10-19-2012 06:06 AM

I got preg close to a yr after DD3 was born and was BFing. I was able to BF DD3 just to 13 mos after that b/c my supply took a big hit from getting prego but I totally would've kept nursing.

*TinyJoys* 10-19-2012 06:41 AM

Well hopefully I can get pg without weaning my little man then. Actually I think I can because to be honest last months AF (my first pp AF) was actually a CP. I'm just worried about if the pg will be able to stick. However, I went from nursing on demand whenever in August to just nursing 3x per day in September to now only 2x per day and I suspect that CP had something to do with that. That's a big change in hormones in a short period of time. So I'm more relaxed about it now and listening to all your stories helps too.