Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can anyone tell me how to make any of these items? Also, menu ideas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450738)

RainandRedemption 10-05-2012 09:01 AM

Can anyone tell me how to make any of these items? Also, menu ideas?

I'll be honest, I'm not the best cook. Usually when I want to make something I pick a few ingredients (the healthiest I can find for the best cost) and just "make up" my own recipe. While my own family tolerates this ok, other people often give me weird looks and end up not eating a lot of what I've made. We have friends coming for the week and I need good "real" recipes for a few things. Pllleeaaase help me out! :blush: :mrgreen:

**from scratch mac and cheese
**granola
**easy throw in the oven and forget about it chicken breast (I'm so scared of chicken. I always overcook it and it sits in the fridge for a week before getting thrown out.) OR crock pot chicken breast
**lentil soup
** BBQ chicken in the crock pot... ? anyone ever do this?

Also, if anyone wants to throw out menu ideas for a week while we'll have friends staying at our house I'd appreciate it. The way we eat won't be affordable to do while they're here, and honestly I'm just nervous about being a hostess and doing a good enough job that I'm just.... unsure of myself and not good at accomplishing much right now :blush:

loganzmama 10-05-2012 09:17 AM

I cut up chicken breast into bite size pieces, throw some cream of ?? Soup(I usually use cream if mushroom), some seasoning & I bake @400 until done. Usually do sides of sweet peas & mashed potatoes. :) It helps stretch the meat & is very tasty.

wyldcat 10-05-2012 09:23 AM

Re: Can anyone tell me how to make any of these items? Also, menu ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainandRedemption (Post 15773087)
I'll be honest, I'm not the best cook. Usually when I want to make something I pick a few ingredients (the healthiest I can find for the best cost) and just "make up" my own recipe. While my own family tolerates this ok, other people often give me weird looks and end up not eating a lot of what I've made. We have friends coming for the week and I need good "real" recipes for a few things. Pllleeaaase help me out! :blush: :mrgreen:

**from scratch mac and cheese
**granola
**easy throw in the oven and forget about it chicken breast (I'm so scared of chicken. I always overcook it and it sits in the fridge for a week before getting thrown out.) OR crock pot chicken breast
**lentil soup
** BBQ chicken in the crock pot... ? anyone ever do this?

Also, if anyone wants to throw out menu ideas for a week while we'll have friends staying at our house I'd appreciate it. The way we eat won't be affordable to do while they're here, and honestly I'm just nervous about being a hostess and doing a good enough job that I'm just.... unsure of myself and not good at accomplishing much right now :blush:

Vermont Maple Granola

7 cups rolled oats, uncooked
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup wheat germ or flaxseed meal
1 cup almonds, chopped or whole
1 cup pecans, chopped or whole
1/2 cup Nonfat Dry Milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup or more raisins and dried cranberries

In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, wheat germ, nuts, and milk powder. Mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour over dry mixture in bowl, stirring and tossing till everything is very well combined. Spread granola on a couple of 9x13 casserole dishes. Bake in a preheated 250F oven for 2 hours, tossing and stirring mixture every 15 minutes or so. Remove pans from oven and cool completely. Transfer granola to a large bowl, and mix in dried fruit.

qsefthuko 10-05-2012 09:28 AM

from allrecipes

sausage and lentil soup

1/2 lb sweet itallian sausage(we use what ever we have even polish sausage sliced)
1 large onion chopped(allergies so we skip)
1 stalk of finely chopped celery(I use two to make up for some of the lost onion)
1 Tbsp of chopped garlic(you can use powdered just use 1tsp or buy already minced garlic)
1 lb of rinsed lentils
1 cup shredded carrots(when lazy I just slice)
8 cups of water
4 cups of chicken broth(2 cans or 1 box)
28 oz can of diced tomatoes(1 big can or 2 small cans)
1Tbsp of powdered garlic( I just add at the same as the first garlic I am not sure why it is added twice though)
1Tbsp freshed chopped parsley(I use dried parsley to save money I use it a lot)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste or 1Tbsp salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper
1/2lb of ditalini pasta optional ( I use any fine pasta 1 small bag like you find in the mexican section is fine)

Cook your sausage.

the recipe calls for sauteeimg the veges. I am lazy. Once the sausage is cooked I toss all but the pasta into a large pot and cook on low 2 1/2-3 hours. Then add the pasta and cook another 20 minutes. Make sure tp stir so the pasta doesn't lump.

We like this with corn bread but dinner rolls would be nice as well. It makes a lot of soup.

babycat42 10-05-2012 09:31 AM

I love barbeque crockpot chicken
this is what I do
throw frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in the crock pot
come back 3 hours later
pour off liquid in there is a lot of it you want some but not a lot
shred chicken with 2 forks
put back in crock pot and pour over my favorite barbeque sauce and let sit in there for another hour

mommyinthesun 10-05-2012 09:51 AM

Crock pot macaroni and cheese:

1 box of elbow noodles
1 5oz can evaporated milk
1/2 c butter
1c milk
1can Campbells cheddar cheese soup (condensed)
8oz shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
1tsp paprika

Melt the butter. Then throw all ingredients in the crock pot (mix well) and cook on low for 3hrs. DO NOT LIFT LID!!!! No need to precook the noodles. Just toss it all in as is :)

CMamma 10-05-2012 12:29 PM

A great way to cook chicken in the crockpot is to take some foil & roll it into balls & set on the bottom of the crockpot, then just lay your chicken on top of it. I'd suggest putting a rub or some seasonings of your choice on before putting it in the crock. It comes out delicious this way/very moist.

AVDesigns 10-07-2012 02:41 AM

I do two different chicken crock pot meals. Just put chicken along with a jar of salsa in the crock pot and cook all day on low. Another is chicken with a can of cream of chicken soup and a packet of dry ranch dressing mix and again just dump it all in and cook on low all day. Super easy and so good.

KelseyH 10-07-2012 05:47 AM

I will be back later today with lots of recipes! :)

MaBacon 10-07-2012 06:10 AM

Here is my granola recipe- it's SUPER easy and stores well
http://baconinmypocket.blogspot.com/...ing-to-ya.html

And Granola bars (I use honey now instead of corn syrup but ether works just fine. If you are adding in more than 3/4 cup toppings increase the corn syrup to 2/3cup)
http://baconinmypocket.blogspot.com/...ch-or-not.html