Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Any one here learn a second language as an adult? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450755)

missydawn 10-05-2012 10:30 AM

Any one here learn a second language as an adult?

I have always wanted to be able to speak Spanish so I am taking my first class at the college. I am looking at three semesters of spanish and hoping by the end I will be able to really speak and understand it. It is hard here in Wyoming to pick up a second lanuage just because only a small population speak anything besides English. I wish there was someone I could speak Spanish with just so I had practice LOL. Has anyone else been able to learn another language as adult enough to be able to use it?

MommyMommyMommy 10-05-2012 11:34 AM

Re: Any one here learn a second language as an adult?

I've always wanted to but haven't yet.

Good for you!! :thumbsup:

Leah52 10-05-2012 11:39 AM

My husband picked up Spanish over the last few years because he works in construction, he is pretty good at conversation. He is in college now (at age 35) and taking Spanish this semester and it is so easy for him since he has had a lot of exposure. I think being around it definitely helps.

2+2macht4 10-05-2012 11:48 AM

I did spanish in college but if you do not use it you loose it.

That said I came to germany without any experience with the language and have learned to speak and write. I am by no means fluent even after 4 years but I get by.

I think immersion is always the best instruction.

luvsgreen 10-05-2012 12:12 PM

Yep. I went to Norway without know any Norwegian at all, and left fluent, in just a few months. It has been quite a few years since I have been there for more than 2 or 3 weeks so I have forgotten a lot. You don't use it, you lose it.

Nana83 10-07-2012 09:24 AM

I start fulltime French language training for work next month. I'm looking forward to it! My job is sending me overseas for a couple years so I'm sure DD and I will return fluent in the language.

Rockinmama24 10-07-2012 09:55 AM

I'm taking Spanish now. I'm struggling a little bit with it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Nijntje 10-07-2012 03:08 PM

Yes, and a third and part of a fourth :) It is not impossible.

That said, three semesters will probably not even get you through intermediate grammar. I don't say this to discourage you, rather to encourage you to seek additional help outside of school to achieve your goal. Learning languages in an American university setting can have advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that you will learn "proper" Spanish and be able to read and write. The disadvantage is they often place too much focus on the passive aspects of a language. You often don't learn how to really speak and function. This is the really hard part.

Go to extracurricular conversation groups if your university offers them. Seek online tandem partners on websites like live mocha. Find a spanish speaker in your community who is learning English and meet up a couple of times a week at the playground or over coffee and alternate speaking each other's language by the day or half hour.

Most importantly make sure you are able to laugh at your own expense. :giggle: I can assure you it really helps make the whole process at lot easier.

doulamomma 10-07-2012 03:39 PM

I would think it would be really hard without it being an emersion type situation

Sent from my droid

JennTheMomma 10-07-2012 04:18 PM

Yup I speak a few languages I learned as an adult without classes. It's completely possible if you have the strive for it