Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is Mini boden worth it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450761)

kai_e 10-05-2012 09:51 AM

Is Mini boden worth it?

I am so tired of buying Carter's and Osh Kosh shirts only to have them get faded or shrink up 2 sizes within a few month.

Is Mini boden worth the cost? Are their pants adjustable waist? DS1 has no back end to speak of, so being able to cinch up the waist is a must.

TIA Mamas!

danielle 10-05-2012 10:31 AM

I haven't purchased their pants. I have quite a few tops. The color stays well, the seams stay flat and straight and they have a high end, "shiny" look, no matter how many washes.

That said, they are pricey. American Apparel has the same look for much less but no cute appliques. I like Boden sweaters but the knit dresses have pilled a bit. No real problem there but the resale value on pilly clothes is low.

I have many adult Boden skirts and they are totally awesome.

Worth it? Depends how important cuteness is to you.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 10-05-2012 12:21 PM

Re: Is Mini boden worth it?

We are big Boden believers for certain things. Tshirts cannot be beat. Thick, soft, they don't shrink or fade much, some are on their 3rd boy here and resale is fantastic. Most of their pants do have drawstring waists that really cinch them up. That said, we don't buy their pants here. They are shorter and very wide in the legs which doesn't work for my beanpoles at all. Many of their pants are also very heavy which no one here likes. Boden underwear lasts forever but runs really big IME. Socks are great. Jackets are great. Sweaters are not worth the money. They pill as PP noted and are no better quality than anything else for much more $$. For us, all 3 guys have stashes of Boden tshirts that are always reached for first and look the best. Worth every penny. We gifted all Target, Oshkosh and Carters tshirts due to shrinkage, fading, pilling, and poor fit and quality. We have Boden and Janie and Jack T-shirts here and the occassional Gymboree. We wear ours daily. GL!

Only 10-05-2012 01:09 PM

I really love the quality. We've bought some for DD winter clothing and the shirts are nice, cute, and wash well.

They have a nice resale value as well.

pumkinsmommy 10-05-2012 01:16 PM

Yes they are worth the money. My daughter loves the skirts, dresses, and shirts. The shirts have NO pills or wear to the fabric. I bought some gymboree shirts last year that looked awful in comparison after only a few washes. The undies are the best as are the footless tights. I usually have a 15% off coupon so it is somewhat cheaper. These clothes last 2-3 years and still look great.

kai_e 10-05-2012 01:25 PM

Thanks - especially the note regarding sweaters which I probably would have bought.

Going off now to check FSOT for t-shirts. That being said, if anyone has boys size 5-6 or 3 - 4, PM me. :)

NYCVeg 10-05-2012 03:35 PM

I prefer Hanna Andersson. Also pricey, but the cotton seems softer to me and I find the stuff lasts much longer (with the way they do sizing, dd easily gets two years of wear out of whatever we buy). We only ever got one Mini Boden sweater, because we also had problems with the pilling. My (very thin) daughter found the Mini Boden adjustable waist jeans too big for quite a while; they have a draw string, but didn't cinch tight enough for her and kept slipping down. I do LOVE Mini Boden coats though. They last forever and dd always gets a million compliments on hers.

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-06-2012 10:16 AM

i found a pair of -pants at the thrift store for $3. i like them and they are cute but i didnt think they were any better than any of the other brands out there. i wouldnt personally spend a lot of money on baby clothes. i just look out for good brands used at the thrift stores.

hibiscus869 10-06-2012 10:28 AM

I used to be a huge Mini Boden and Boden (for me) fan. I LOVE their design asthetic, it's so cute and whimsical. I've been a customer for years. However I do feel that lately the quality has changed. I've had a lot of things fade and color transfers peel after just one wash. Also the seams have shrunk in wierd ways, and the quality in general just hasn't been as good IMO. I have a lot of stuff in the closet right now I'm disappointed about. I actually am not shopping from that catalog anymore as a result. I also don't shop at Gap or Gymboree anymore for the same reasons- I feel like the prices are high but the quality is low.

I personally think for the money Hanna Andersson is better quality, and Growing Up With Garnet Hill. Not the most affordable options by any means, but within that bracket they are really nicely made clothes. I try to get mostly Hanna stuff on sale, I haven't found it to shrink or fade and the cotton is very soft. It seems to do well wash after wash and my kids are hard on clothes.

FlyingMama 10-06-2012 10:41 PM

Mini boden is so cute but I have found that most of their clothes are cut really wide and don't fit right on my long skinny kids. Especially on my 2 yr old who also has no butt to speak of.