Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WWYD... overweight friend and new furniture... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450776)

escapethevillage 10-05-2012 11:33 AM

WWYD... overweight friend and new furniture...

We have a cabin up North. My husband goes, even when I don't.

Last summer, he had his friends visit for the weekend, and one friend We'll call Bob, is extremely obese. He sat in our patio chairs and broke every one he sat in. (it was a really nice sturdy set...very expensive)

This year, we bought a new set, expensive, but, not as expensive, or the same quality.... (we also bought new bar stools)

Bob going up this weekend too, for three days, and he's going to break the new set. (and the bar stools) I'm kind of annoyed that my husband invited him up there, as we just got this stuff in June, and it's not as well made as the last set.

He also broke a lazy boy chair, but that didn't bother me because it was older and not a chair I was attached to. We didn't replace it yet, but nobody will sit in it because it just grinds instead of rocking.

My other concern is, to get up to the cabin, there are two wooden steps... the steps need to be replaced in the next year or so. There is a cinder block holding the steps up in the middle, but I don't think the steps are very safe for someone of his size. It's not a far fall, but it will hurt, and he could be injured.

I guess I'm just stuck with waiting to see what happens, and I can't even begin to think of a way to say "Uh... not on this chair, howbout this older chair?"

babycat42 10-05-2012 11:37 AM

Re: WWYD... overweight friend and new furniture...

That sucks.

Pikemommy 10-05-2012 11:41 AM

Man... that's a tough spot to be in. Wish I had some amazing solution for you :dunno:

happysmileylady 10-05-2012 11:41 AM

Wait, he broke your chairs but didn't offer to pay for them? I don't care how he broke them, whether he was too big or wehther is drove a 4-wheeler into them an smashed them, if he broke the chairs he should pay to replace them. If my kid jumps on the couch and busts the springs, I offer to replace it, this is no different.

Only 10-05-2012 11:43 AM

That's an awkward situation to be in and I don't blame you for being bothered.

How did he react when he broke them? Embarrassed? Did he laugh? Does he have a thick skin?

I ask because depending on that you could play off it. For example, if he thought it as hilarious, you could buy a sturdy chair and jokingly call it "The Bob Chair" and tell him it's just for him? Kind of corny but oh well.

3lilbubs 10-05-2012 11:45 AM

Well... depending on how big Bob is you could get some higher rated camp chairs for him. That does suck, partly that he didn't offer to do anything and partly because it's a tough position to be in because anything you say would be misinterpreted as intolerant of his weight.

sojomisa 10-05-2012 11:45 AM

Gosh. I hope everything makes it through the trip. I would hate to replace the furniture every season.

I guess I wonder 2 things: 1. Why would he sit on the other chairs after the first one broke? and 2. Why not invest in a sturdier set? It'll be most cost effective as I doubt your dh is going to stop inviting his friend, kwim?

Good luck!

MamaJules 10-05-2012 11:46 AM

Yeah, just the fact that he broke multiple chairs without offering to replace them would bug me and make me not want to invite him again. I don't know how I would handle this situation, though. Maybe just make sure to give him a clear warning about the step? I would hate for him to get hurt and then you be liable for it.

escapethevillage 10-05-2012 11:46 AM

He wasn't mean about it, but when one chair breaks, he just gets up and moves to another chair. Or he doesn't notice it's broken, but, when he sits down again, he can tell it's going to snap, so he gets up to sit in another one.

I think he's just used to chairs breaking, and doesn't think about how it impacts others.

sojomisa 10-05-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 15773693)
Wait, he broke your chairs but didn't offer to pay for them? I don't care how he broke them, whether he was too big or wehther is drove a 4-wheeler into them an smashed them, if he broke the chairs he should pay to replace them. If my kid jumps on the couch and busts the springs, I offer to replace it, this is no different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 15773710)
Well... depending on how big Bob is you could get some higher rated camp chairs for him. That does suck, partly that he didn't offer to do anything and partly because it's a tough position to be in because anything you say would be misinterpreted as intolerant of his weight.

I agree with these.