Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Woah Nelly! So that is what ammonia smells like! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450786)

thtr4me 10-05-2012 11:01 AM

Woah Nelly! So that is what ammonia smells like!

I thought we had had a little ammonia in the past. Nope, just stinky pee. Even my sitting for 4 days diapers have never smelled like that. This morning we were sitting in the dining room, DS2 still in his night diaper, and my eyes start burning, my nose hairs start burning, and I get a wiff of that smell. Took DS2 to the changing table, and his diaper just reeked of ammonia. Then the whole room started stinking. Took diaper to the sink and rinsed until no more smell. But wow, I did not realize that ammonia stink was THAT bad. DS2 was not red or irritated at all in his bottom area. Thank goodness.

So, that means my diapers weren't clean, right? I am using Tide, adding a little bleach to each load, and recently added Borax to all our laundry to get rid of some weird funky smell. Thought it was my washer since all the laundry smells a little off, but maybe Tide is no longer working? I went a couple weeks with no vinegar rinse, as everytime I went to the store, the vinegar shelf was completely bare. Just put it back in the rinse, and BAM, ammonia.

Any suggestions? We have ridiculously hard water and an LG HE machine. I run on the bulky cycle so there is more water in the tub during the wash cycle. Calgon and washing soda are not available locally. I am thinking of trying the Target F&C Clean Rinsing stuff mentioned in another thread. Any other recommendations would be appreciated though.

emma bemma 10-05-2012 11:54 AM

Re: Woah Nelly! So that is what ammonia smells like!

I hand rinse each diaper insert in the sink before putting the diapers in my wet bag and that has eliminated the ammonia build up for us. I know its an extra step but totally worth it! Do this after you strip them of course becasue it sounds like you might need to. Good luck!

keonli 10-05-2012 11:58 AM

How much Tide are you using? Could you add a little more to the load and do extra rinses just to make sure they're getting clean after a wash?

AZmommy 10-05-2012 01:11 PM

Try the target we have hard water but addtives like calgon and borox vinager ect irritate my LO so I like using as little other stuff as possible (I do use bleach in my prewash) I'm seriously in love with the target stuff and I never thought I'd find something that cleaned better than tide.. Also while we haven't been using them a long time my DD overnight diapers smell jsut like concentrated pee nothing more and they are washing up great.

Deanna

thtr4me 10-05-2012 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! Appreciate it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma bemma (Post 15774076)
I hand rinse each diaper insert in the sink before putting the diapers in my wet bag and that has eliminated the ammonia build up for us. I know its an extra step but totally worth it! Do this after you strip them of course becasue it sounds like you might need to. Good luck!

I do rinse all of DS1's night diapers and all the poopies. We have never had an issue with DS2's straight pee diapers. It is so weird! And the interesting thing, we used diapers from the same load all day yesterday with no problems. Will be interesting to see if we have the problem again tomorrow morning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 15774101)
How much Tide are you using? Could you add a little more to the load and do extra rinses just to make sure they're getting clean after a wash?

I don't think it is physically possible to get more Tide in the detergent dispenser. And I do 3 rinses (should be enough, right?). I do my main cycle with an extra rinse, and since diapers wash at night then sit in the washer all night, I usually do a rinse in the AM before tossing them in the dryer. If I don't they have a slightly funky wet stuff sitting in a sealed container smell, since the washer seals so completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZmommy (Post 15774482)
Try the target we have hard water but addtives like calgon and borox vinager ect irritate my LO so I like using as little other stuff as possible (I do use bleach in my prewash) I'm seriously in love with the target stuff and I never thought I'd find something that cleaned better than tide.. Also while we haven't been using them a long time my DD overnight diapers smell jsut like concentrated pee nothing more and they are washing up great.

Yep, your thread got me curious to try the Target stuff. Think I may walk over in a bit since it is across the street from the office to see if they have any.

c&w's mama 10-05-2012 02:32 PM

ack! little scared as this is my very first post- and I may be too late to this party. When we have ammonia issues, I tried all kinds of tricks-- couldn't get most of the standard things to work. I think the harder the water, the more problems the vinegar causes. I, too, have an HE (wish I didn't). Our water is not too hard, but vinegar caused more problems- those dipes really stank. I do have access to washing soda at our regular grocery store (as no one else has ever heard of it! I asked.) I tried a lot of new/other detergents and it got worse. The more I did, the worse it got.

My final somewhat solution was the most basic- do warm rinses and make sure those dipes didn't sit for more than 3 days. I do a heavy duty (I guess like the new bulky setting) for washing and another HD cycle for rinsing with washing soda. We have an older machine so DH took it apart and set the water level higher. I'd say to try warm water rinses and use less detergent (if you tried more) because I know I've had trouble getting detergent out with those HD machines.

c&w's mama

RachelC 10-05-2012 02:49 PM

I use a full scoop of Tide HE powder along with a small scoop of Sun Oxygen cleaner, do a heavy hot wash, followed by another heavy hot wash, and my diapers always come out smelling wonderfully. Make sure your hot water heater is set high enough. I also really recommend powder detergent. I'm not sure if you are using liquid or powder. Powder detergents clean better.

thtr4me 10-05-2012 10:54 PM

So all of today's diapers are ammonia-y. I picked up the Target stuff and ran a load of towels that have the 'off' smell. They are a bit better, but still have the smell. Diapers are in now, with bleach and a vinegar rinse to neutralize the bleach. And my final rinse cycle is always warm with nothing added. Won't know if there is success until sometime tomorrow. This sucks. I am afraid to use my diapers now, but cannot use sposies at all even temporarily (you may have seen my post about the phonecall I got from DH).

I have heard that a lot of people with hard water have issues with vinegar, but I only seem to have problems without it. Weird, I know. And yep, back to basics. Hot hot water, detergent, some bleach since I know that ammonia=bacteria, and that's it.

And as for powder detergent, if there was a good F&C HE powder detergent, I might consider trying it. But I have never met a powder detergent that I like and I cannot tolerate even a hint of fragrance in my clothing. Makes my nose run, sets off asthma, and triggers migraines.

Oh, and our water heater is set to nuclear ;).

AZmommy 10-05-2012 11:55 PM

have you tried running a cleaning cyle through your machine? Odor and gunk can build up in the machine and cause those things to both redistubute back onto cloth or just prevent the washer from cleaning throughly.
The only HE FnC powder I'm aware of is eaither 7th generation which I find useless and the Sears powder which I find just okay..

thtr4me 10-06-2012 04:36 PM

We have run a few clean cycles on the washer, with mixed results. I may run another overnight though again. So the first batch of diapers washed with the Target stuff is in the dryer. It took 2 extra washes with nothing to rinse the detergent out. Although it is unscented, it does have a 'smell' to it, and even after 2 extra full washes, I can still smell it a bit. I think the funky smell is gone though. Crossing fingers! And I learned that with this detergent, I need to use a lot less than I am used to with the Tide.

Oh, and I ran a load of towels through the washer last night and they still have a bit if funky smell. Need to figure out what to do with them.

Second batch of diapers is in the washer now, with much less detergent. Hoping that I do not need to run those through additional cycles to get the detergent out. I am okay with one extra rinse after the main cycle.

Another question. Anyone have any experience with Borax leaving a film behind in the washer? DH says he has wiped a weird film away twice recently. He thought it was from baking soda, but when I told him I was not using it in my loads recently, he is not sure now. Thanks!