Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BFing delay monthly period? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450838)

mandabug2 10-05-2012 01:11 PM

BFing delay monthly period?

I am nursing 18 month old twins and have returned to monthly cycles but this month I am day 36 with no period but wicked cramps. Can nursing affect that?

southernbelle04 10-05-2012 01:15 PM

It can take a few cycles to get back to your normal pattern. Sometimes your cycles change completely!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mandabug2 10-05-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernbelle04
It can take a few cycles to get back to your normal pattern. Sometimes your cycles change completely!

I've had 4, is that still in the realm of a few cycles?

southernbelle04 10-05-2012 01:23 PM

I think so. I had a late ovulation the first 3-4 cycles at least.

OHIOFIFI 10-05-2012 03:55 PM

Re: BFing delay monthly period?

Definitely. I was just at my OB 2 days ago for my annual and they were asking me why I didn't fill in how long my cycles typically were. I told them I haven't had a regular period since DS birth Aug 2011. I am even mentioned that I didn't have a period (again) this month just drk brown discharge and cramps. Doc said that is classic nursing mother periods (or lack there of). Estrogen is what causes you to develop a lining to shed and nursing can diminish your estrogen. For me, my body knew it was time to shed but there was nothing to shed so all I had was cramps and some old blood discharge. It doesn't happen to every woman but is a classic symptom for nursing moms who don't have regular periods. I think I have had maybe 4 periods since DS birth.

chandni3 10-05-2012 04:04 PM

The length between when you ovulate and when your period starts is almost always the same (about 2 weeks). When you ovulate can change. If you know when you ovulated then you can be sure that your period will soon follow. My first ovulation my period that followed was heavy. Second month I didn't ovulate but I got my period on time. Third month I ovulated late but no period because I got pregnant. Maybe test if there's a possibility you're pregnant.

eva_luvs_dave 10-09-2012 12:03 AM

17 mos and still no af here! I had one in April but it was VERY short (2 days instead of my norm 5-7 days) and nothing since!

loni1090 10-09-2012 12:56 PM

I feel that is one of the best perks of nursing, you dont get your period right away, well commonly. I have heard of people still getting their period right away while nursing

mandabug2 10-09-2012 10:55 PM

I've already had AF back for a couple of months. I am just day 41, no period, but wicked wicked cramping!

l_Kimmie_l 10-10-2012 10:15 AM

Are you pregnant? That would be my first guess. I got PG 3 months after AF came back while nursing. I was only 6 months PP.