Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Laundry Soap recipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450842)

mammacandoit 10-05-2012 01:20 PM

Laundry Soap recipes

I'm going to make laundry soap today, but I was thinking of trying something different. Up until now I have been making this recipe:

1 bar of fels naptha
3 C Borax
3 C washing soda
4 gallons of water

But earlier today I noticed someone had posted something about a recipe that used an entire bar of soap, 1 C borax, 1 C washing soda and about 2 gallons of water. I would imagine it would be much thicker then mine, which is fine....I don't really have a problem with clothes staying dirty, but I use about 2 cups of soap at a time in a really dirty load to make sure.

Post your recipe!!

7 for now 10-05-2012 03:36 PM

Mine is

1 bar Fels Naptha
1.25-1.5 cups borax
1.25-1.5 cups Super washing soda
3 gallons water

I melt all te ingredients and divide between 3 one gallon Sunny Delight jugs then fill the rest of the way with water. I use 1 cup per load in a TL. I also have hard well water and add 1/2 cup White King water softener per load. Cleans as well as my old beloved Tide, which I still use on diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mammacandoit 10-05-2012 04:01 PM

Re: Laundry Soap recipes

Thanks! I'm hoping more people post too! :)

Heather1583 10-05-2012 04:54 PM

I use powder, and only need 2tablespoons per wash usually.
1 bar grated fels naptha, Dr bronners, ivory, etc.
1cup washing soda
1 cup borax
Sometimes a dozen or so drops
Of essential oil like lavender, tea tree, sweet Orange...
I use my food processor to grate and then run the soap through the chopper too, making it really fine. We also use this on our cloth diapers without problems.

mammacandoit 10-06-2012 06:35 AM

for the peeps that use powder...do you find it doesn't always dissolve? I'm so worried about that for some reason. I wonder if I've tried it before and had a bad experience....

Heather1583 10-06-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammacandoit
for the peeps that use powder...do you find it doesn't always dissolve? I'm so worried about that for some reason. I wonder if I've tried it before and had a bad experience....

I did and that's when I started chopping the soap in addition to grating it. It seems to be doing a good job.

silvergirl0007 10-07-2012 09:30 PM

I personally use this recipe for powder. http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-an...ction_ref_map=[]

It makes almost an entire mop bucket and smells a little strong when you make it, but leaves virtually no smell on the clothes. It dissolves just fine in both hot and cold water and you really don't need much at all. I don't know if I'll ever buy laundry soap again. It cost me around $20 to make and would be cheaper if you left out the fabric softener and oxiclean, but my husband works on a farm and we need something a bit stronger to get the smell of cow and milk out of his clothes.

HugeBabyBoy 10-07-2012 10:50 PM

I use a 5 gallon bucket. Fill containers 1/2 way, and then fill the other half with water. So, 1 bar + borax + washing soda = 10 gallons. I used the more concentrated 5 gallon mix, as well as the 10 gallon mix, and it cleans just as well. ;)

mammacandoit 10-08-2012 06:04 AM

Well I ended up making a batch of dry soap. I used 2 bars of soap, 2 C borax and 2 c of washing soda. It filled up a gallon jar about 1/2 way. I was thinking of adding boiling water to it so that it would have been a very thick gel, but wanted to try it dry first.
I chopped it all up really fine in the food processor. Then I've been using 2T of the mix in my wash. So far so good. In fact, I think it's a bit more concentrated then the liquid that I've been using as my clothes are more "smelly" like the soap. I used cold water on both of the washes that I did and I didn't notice that it wasn't dissolving. I think chopping it up extra made a huge difference.
If I notice that the soap isn't disolving, I may end up adding the boiling water to it. If I do that though, I just wonder if it would separate. When I make a thin version of the soap and put it in soap bottles, I can shake it. I can't exactly shake it in the gallon glass jug. hmmm. Thoughts?

newmommy13 10-08-2012 06:43 AM

Leah posted a recipe in diaper q & a using dawn and no grating bar soap! I want to try it but I can't find it now. :/ the blog was awesome it had recipes for home made stain remover and fabric softener I think too.