Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I just found a guy taking pics of my backyard... Is my landlord a little crazy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450917)

SewGreenBaby 10-05-2012 04:34 PM

I just found a guy taking pics of my backyard... Is my landlord a little crazy?

We have large windows facing the backyard. My 4yo ds was in the living room naked (had just gone potty) and said "Mama, who is that?!" I look and see an older man at my backyard fence holding a camera above his head and photographing my backyard, straight towards my windows. I step out the backdoor and ask not too kindly "Can I help you with something?!" Of course, naked ds must follow me outside and then I have a panic attack thinking it's some kind of perv trying to photograph the inside of our house, so I drag ds back inside and step back out for an explanation. He says he's inspecting and hangs some paper badge over the fence. I ask if it's about the roof, since the landlord is replacing it and we already had someone over here to look at it and give the landlord an estimate. He say's "Yes, the roof, among other things, we inspect the property for the owner. Sorry to disturb you." And then left. I was a little dumbfounded. This on top of other recent things is starting to tick me off. We had several days of rain in a row and I kept having to postpone the lawn guy because the yard was getting flooded every night. On Monday I get a note on the door saying that during her "weekly drive by" she noticed we need to mow the yard and we have 2 days to do it or she will hire someone and tack it on the rent. Now, the yard really wasn't bad. Weeds had been growing the past couple of days because of all the rain, but there wasn't much I could do. It rained that day and the next. Luckily it was dry Wednesday, so I got it done by the "deadline". We're good tenants, always pay rent on time and keep the house clean. The handy man has told me the guy who lived here before me didn't keep the house nearly as clean as we do. So, we've got weekly drive bys, inspectors photographing AND she does an inside inspection every 4-6 mos. We've only had one so far and I got a note saying I need to change the air filter NOW. The air filter was fine, there was just some dust on the metal cover. Am I wrong for feeling hounded? We've only been here 4 months!

SewGreenBaby 10-05-2012 04:40 PM

And I should add you can't just see in our yard walking by. He was standing on his tip toes to see over the fence and holding the camera above his head to take the pictures.

s@hmommy 10-05-2012 04:40 PM

Re: I just found a guy taking pics of my backyard... Is my landlord a little crazy?

Did she make you aware of all this when you signed your lease? It is her property and it sounds like she is trying to protect her investment, as annoying as she is being about it. Sounds like she could be a decent landlord in the long run though because she actually cares about up keep and such.

CarrieMF 10-05-2012 04:44 PM

Re: I just found a guy taking pics of my backyard... Is my landlord a little crazy?

the landlord could be being overly cautious due to the previous tenant.

It could have been the city doing an inspection for tax purposes.

It's hard to tell since you offered a reasonable explanation for the guy(is it about the roof), it really could have been anything including your first thought when ds came outside.

I would call the landlord and mention you had someone taking photos over the fence, does she know why they would have been doing it. Give generic info.

SewGreenBaby 10-05-2012 04:47 PM

I understand where she's coming from. The inside inspections are in the lease. And we are notified what day they are done and can request another day/time if we won't be home. I'm fine with them. And the weekly drive-bys are a little weird but don't bother me that much.... Unless I start getting notes saying there's a leaf in my yard or something else ridiculous. But this guy freaked me out and I feel invaded my privacy. I could have been sunbathing topless without fear of anyone seeing me unless they were intentionally trying to peep into my yard. And for all I know my naked 4 year old can be seen in his pics. After all the nitpicking, this just seems like it's crossing a line.

mamatoclaire 10-05-2012 04:48 PM

Your landlord sounds crazy to me. I would for sure call and ask about the guy taking pictures, that's so strange. If she did send him out, tell her she needs to notify you first or you'll call the police to report a stalker. For what it's worth, in almost 5 years of renting I have NEVER had a inside inspection. I probably wouldn't drag up other complaints, but if she hounded me about the yard again I'd tell her exactly why it's overgrown and that she's welcome to come mow it in the rain if she's that worried.

ETA: if the guy was legit, wouldn't he have knocked on your front door first??

CarrieMF 10-05-2012 04:50 PM

oh, also. Unless you have a super short house or a really steep roof there isn't any way he could see the roof to take photos of it.

SewGreenBaby 10-05-2012 04:50 PM

He said he does the inspections for the landlord. I think his comment about the roof was just him trying to not come out and say "I do this all the time," like the landlord doesn't want the tenants knowing she does this. Otherwise why not tell me ahead of time? Or have it in the lease? My 4 year old is scared that some man is gonna come in our back yard now. He cried when I put him back in the house.

pumkinsmommy 10-05-2012 04:54 PM

That is out of line. I would let her know that this guy was taking a picture directly in your back window.

keen1981 10-05-2012 04:56 PM

I'd ca to see if it's legal to take pictures of the property over a privacy fence!