Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Gemini or Beco Butterfly II??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451018)

wavesofgrace 10-06-2012 12:08 AM

Gemini or Beco Butterfly II???

Hi there! I've been wanting to invest in a new ssc, but I'm torn between the Gemini and the BBII.

Things I like about the Gemini, based on the description:
-It just *looks* more comfortable than the BBII. Is that true?
-No newborn insert!
-The ability to cross the straps... I'd imagine this helps to achieve a nice fit.

Things I don't likei:
-Those weird, dangling cords that hang from the head support
-No pocket
-No true sleeping hood

Things I like about the BBII, based on the description:
-Easy back carries (I'm not much of a back carrier, but it would be cool to try)
-A pocket

Things I don't like:
-The need for the infant insert
-More buckling necessary

What do you think? I'd especially love to hear from mamas who have both! Specifically, how annoying is it to use the BBII infant insert?

Oh-- and if this helps, I have a 4 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. I probably want to have at least one more child, so I'm looking for a carrier that works well from newborn to toddler.

Thanks! :goodvibes:

southernbelle04 10-06-2012 02:49 AM

I have both & like both. Right now, the BBII is getting more love because it seems to work better for DD2 & is more comfortable than the Gemini (no idea why; Gemini was totally comfortable with DD1).

If one of your main concerns is being able to use it long term, I may lean toward BBII because the weight limit is higher (45 lbs; Gemini is 35 lbs).

The best thing to do is find a rental program online (like Paxbaby) & try them both out yourself. Carrier fit is a very individual thing.

Oh and the pocket you mentioned isn't really a pocket; it's meant to hold the sleeping hood when not in use. You could probably put a couple of tissues in there but it's not going to hold things like keys, spare diaper, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

lhitch22 10-06-2012 10:28 PM

I have both and prefer the Gemini. It's way easier to adjust and I like the fold up head rest. And even though the BBII is supposed to make back carries less scary I think its easier to do on the go with the gemini.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 10-07-2012 01:11 AM

Re: Gemini or Beco Butterfly II???

I have used both and prefer the gemini

sweetest 10-14-2012 12:25 AM

My LO is only 4 months old but I love my Beco Gemini - way more comfortable than the BBII! Before I tried the Gemini, I tried the Ergo, BBII, and Boba 3G - I didn't like any of them.

My problem with the BBII was that it was so fiddly to put on and I hated the internal panel. I don't even remember what all the straps were but I felt like there were a million steps to put it on! I also didn't find the back carry to be easy at all... I didn't like the way you have to put the baby on in the front and then slide them around to the back...

I love the Gemini because it is much more streamlined (both in how it looks and in how it works!)... I love the criss-crossing straps when you are doing the front carry. The carrier itself feels more lightweight even though the body is padded. I thought those straps for the head support were weird at first too, I thought they would drive me crazy flopping all over the place, but I don't even notice them now... and you can tuck them under the headrest when you are not using it if they really bother you.

buko 10-15-2012 06:54 AM

I must be the only one... I preferred the BBII when I tried them out at our local hippie baby store (esp like the relative "ease" of a back carry)-- but I will say that I don't have my babe in arms yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

luvsviola 10-15-2012 10:55 AM

Front carry, I love Gemini. So much easier to get baby in, and fits newbies well. I prefer crossed straps for front carries on any carrier.

Back carry I love BBII. Hate hate hate it for front carry.

I own both. :). If I could only have one, it would be Gemini for newbies.

Kdevaul719 10-26-2012 12:37 AM

I rented from paxbaby.com and tried the BB2, Gemini, Pikolo (sp?) and borrowed the ergo. The ergo just didn't work for my body. Everyone is different. Some love it. For me my back hurt in one specific spot.

The buckles at the shoulder on the BB2 and having the fabric panel on my chest drove me crazy. They are just another step that I didn't like fussing with. It just didn't seem to line up right on my body and when I sat with carrier still atatched to me like when I went to drive the panel rode up into my chin. The Gemini just flapped down and wasn't in my way. Again some love it but it just wasn't for me.

The pikolo straps weren't very comfy. Too thin I think.

I also tried my sister Boba and felt it cut into me under my armpits but I have not tried a Boba 3G.

The Gemini was just right for us. Folded up and down like an ergo, no infant insert needed, could cross straps or just do clip like ergo. It was the most comfortable for me. I have since graduated to other kinds of wraps and carriers. I have a Toddler Tula. Which is an awesome SSC option as well. I love the Tula and guess I would have loved it in a standard infant size as well if I knew about it a year ago. They are newer to the "scene." We got both our Gemini and Toddler Tula at PAXbaby.com as well. Good luck. If you can try them on somewhere or rent them it totally helps. But I know about 6 friend who got the Gemini and love it cuz its so comfy.

Check out all the buckled carriers here including Becos, Bobas and Tulas. http://shop.paxbaby.com/buckle-carriers/

Kdevaul719 10-26-2012 12:45 AM

P.S. Pimp my Carrier from Paxbaby makes something called a Flat Hat for the Gemini which works like a hood. It can be customized to your choice of fabrics. You can also geet matching teething wraps for the straps. I don't see it on the site currently but you can always ask about the flat hat.

And newer Geminis don't have cords to put the head rest up they have like 1/2" webbed straps with clips. They are sturdier. Beco customer service was great. My thin cord broke cuz my daughter chewed through it...I sent it in to Beco on a monday. They returned it with the new kind of clips and I recieved it on Wednesday and they refunded me the cost of the shipping. It was amazing.