Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   half marathon - what i need to know (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451026)

Sophia&Daria 10-06-2012 03:54 AM

half marathon - what i need to know

I'm planning on running the hakf marathon early May next year. Three weeks ago I started the TurboFire Challenge which is 6 days a week workout so i can't handle running more than once a week. But I'm starting 7 months in advance so that shouldn't be an issue right?

I have a treadmill but it doesn't show distance and time. I can't really run outside bc i have 3 little ones.

So where do i start?

massie2012 10-06-2012 06:28 AM

Re: half marathon - what i need to know

Congrats on starting the Turbo Fire challenge and good luck, how has it been going? I love Turbo-as far as the running goes there are site online that take you to half marathon in about 12 weeks, that what I used. If you want to start running on your treadmill maybe time your self and go from there. Good luck!

Sophia&Daria 10-06-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massie2012
Congrats on starting the Turbo Fire challenge and good luck, how has it been going? I love Turbo-as far as the running goes there are site online that take you to half marathon in about 12 weeks, that what I used. If you want to start running on your treadmill maybe time your self and go from there. Good luck!

Turbo is going well. I'm losing a pound a week. It is kind of tough on my joints though. My knees and ankles hurt some times. Have you done it?

Jlg325j 10-06-2012 06:51 PM

Good Luck with Turbo Fire, I keep wanting to try it! How long are the work outs?

Sophia&Daria 10-06-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlg325j
Good Luck with Turbo Fire, I keep wanting to try it! How long are the work outs?

Varies. She provides a schedule. From 15 mins to one hour.

savingmomof2boys 10-07-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia&Daria
I'm planning on running the hakf marathon early May next year. Three weeks ago I started the TurboFire Challenge which is 6 days a week workout so i can't handle running more than once a week. But I'm starting 7 months in advance so that shouldn't be an issue right?

I have a treadmill but it doesn't show distance and time. I can't really run outside bc i have 3 little ones.

So where do i start?

I think you would be okay running one day a week for now but you will want to try to increase that to 3 days a week. Maybe not do turbofire 6 days a week so you can still get your running in.

There are lots of different half marathon training plans out there where you run 3 days a week. Do a Google search and find one that works for you. Most of the plans are 12-18 weeks long but you will want to be running a bit before that so you have a starting base.

As for the treadmill, I would be sure to set the incline on 2 and try to go by time. Using the slight incline will help mimic outdoor conditions. Most people find running outside more difficult then on a treadmill because of natural elevation. I would probably try to get in one outdoor run a week (preferably the long run) once you start the half marathon training plan. That way you will have at least one run a week where you know for sure you are doing the distance.

mebl0901 10-07-2012 04:53 PM

If I were you, I would try a 5k program. Are you brand new to running? The Couch to 5k is a great program and there are many other similar plans out there.

Start small and and keep increasing your distance little by little. You will need a lot more than just 12 weeks to train for a half if you are starting from scratch. I started running last August and will be doing my first half marathon in December. I've done countless 5ks, a 10k, and a mud run/obstacle course over that last year. I'm in the process of training for my half and still have "Can I really do this??" moments. I don't mean to discourage you because I'm sure you can do it if you really want it, I would just hate for you to get in over your head and get hurt or frustrated. Check out the Runner's World website. There is a forum there with lots of help for beginners.

Can you run in the early am before your DH goes to work or in the evening when he gets home? I only run outside and have no treadmill experience so I can't really speak to that.

Good luck and keep us updated! And congrats on the weight loss and getting started on an exercise plan. The first step is always the hardest. :)

d_arnold 10-07-2012 08:10 PM

Definitely get into a training program. I found a great one last year online. It was 8 weeks and aimed for beginners. You run 4x/wk with one of those runs being a "long run".

Get a good pair of shoes. Seriously, this is the most important thing in my book. Go to a good shoe store that will fit you properly. Usually you will wear 1 size larger in running shoes than what you would your average shoe to allow your feet room for expansion during running.

Van1300 10-10-2012 02:29 PM

Ya I recommend Couch to 5K also! I ran my first 5K last March and found out I was pregnant 3 days later... I think it helped with TTC. When I'm don having this baby and PP 6 weeks, (mid January), I'll be starting back up again :)

There is a free app that you can get on your phone, it beeps at you when it is time to switch between running and walking. Just remember that training on a treadmill is easier then training outside, so at some point you will have to make the switch!

cody82414 01-22-2013 07:47 PM

Bump