Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The power of Santa... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451057)

jeebee 10-06-2012 09:09 AM

The power of Santa...

Seriously, this kid has been a complete nightmare lately. Screaming and chucking a fit for every little thing. Last night was just terrible. 2 hours of her screaming refusing to stay in her room, waking up her sister (they share), yelling at us, me trying to nurse her to calm her down, and then after 45 mins i thought she was asleep, as soon as I left she woke up and started yelling again, it was just terrible. The last couple of weeks have been quite terrible. It's just the terrible twos, I know it's just a phase, but it's not fun! Especially when there is stuff that you know you have put off to do once they are asleep and it is 10:30pm and she is still up!

Anyway tonight as soon as DH and I started saying, 'ok it's time to go get in your bed' she started getting defiant, yelling 'no' etc. Refusing to go basically and I just thought 'Oh here we go again' :banghead:. So I said 'Well, I am going to call Santa and he doesn't like it when kids don't listen to their parents so he won't bring you any presents for Christmas'. LOL. And the instant I said that, immediately she got up and got right into her bed and we did not hear another murmur from her. It was like magic! I really don't know how I feel about bribing kids like this... but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! I didn't even realise she understood the whole Santa concept, she wasn't even two yet last time he came.

Do you ever use these little white lies to your parental advantage?

myblessedbaby 10-06-2012 09:13 AM

Re: The power of Santa...

I'm looking forward to December when our elf on the shelf visits daily and reports behavior to Santa each night. Harmless fun. :)

RainandRedemption 10-06-2012 02:25 PM

I don't want to say much, just that OP I am not judging you, and God knows in my desperate hours I have said things that I did not think out as thoroughly as I later wished I had, BUT I don't think the "reporting to Santa" thing is harmless fun.

I'll try to stay out of this thread from here on out I just had to say that.

myblessedbaby 10-06-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainandRedemption (Post 15778418)
I don't want to say much, just that OP I am not judging you, and God knows in my desperate hours I have said things that I did not think out as thoroughly as I later wished I had, BUT I don't think the "reporting to Santa" thing is harmless fun.

I'll try to stay out of this thread from here on out I just had to say that.

In my house, elf on the shelf is harmless fun. The kids get a kick out of seeing the elf each day and they do try to behave better knowing she's "watching." I don't threaten the kids re: gifts

Terra 10-06-2012 02:42 PM

Haha, yup. BTDT. I've love the video from Santa that we did last year. I think it was posted here. It's free and you can enter information. My boys LOVED that!

Only 10-06-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebee
Seriously, this kid has been a complete nightmare lately. Screaming and chucking a fit for every little thing. Last night was just terrible. 2 hours of her screaming refusing to stay in her room, waking up her sister (they share), yelling at us, me trying to nurse her to calm her down, and then after 45 mins i thought she was asleep, as soon as I left she woke up and started yelling again, it was just terrible. The last couple of weeks have been quite terrible. It's just the terrible twos, I know it's just a phase, but it's not fun! Especially when there is stuff that you know you have put off to do once they are asleep and it is 10:30pm and she is still up!

Anyway tonight as soon as DH and I started saying, 'ok it's time to go get in your bed' she started getting defiant, yelling 'no' etc. Refusing to go basically and I just thought 'Oh here we go again' :banghead:. So I said 'Well, I am going to call Santa and he doesn't like it when kids don't listen to their parents so he won't bring you any presents for Christmas'. LOL. And the instant I said that, immediately she got up and got right into her bed and we did not hear another murmur from her. It was like magic! I really don't know how I feel about bribing kids like this... but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! I didn't even realise she understood the whole Santa concept, she wasn't even two yet last time he came.

Do you ever use these little white lies to your parental advantage?

In moments where I'm pushed to my limits I've told my older niece and nephew something similar.

It's the same as when your kid is going nuts in the grocery store and you just need to make it to the toilet paper aisle and then you're all done so you hand the little terror a lollipop to keep them quiet.

No one is perfect, and sometimes you just need the break!

RainandRedemption 10-06-2012 03:32 PM

Most of the times things like this are totally harmless... I just wanted to throw out there that it's not ALWAYS harmless. Probably didn't need to come into this thread IDK why I did, just wanted to throw that thought out there. I'm not in the business of deciding who's making what mistakes and when, so please don't think that's what I'm doing

megenic 10-06-2012 04:22 PM

Hahah...I fully use the power of Santa! We have Elf on the Shelf an he comes out in November. That gives me almost two months of good behavior because all I have to do is say the elf is watching. LOL.

I think parents who say they never lie to their kids are either lying themselves or in denial. I tell outrageous lies to my kids all the time and it makes them laugh. I enjoy a silly, fun home environment so it's very common for me to tell a kid that if they don't stop misbehaving a turnip is going to sprout from their nose. If that means they will need therapy in late life, oh well...at least they'll have a good sense of humor.

Terra 10-06-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 15778773)
Hahah...I fully use the power of Santa! We have Elf on the Shelf an he comes out in November. That gives me almost two months of good behavior because all I have to do is say the elf is watching. LOL.

I think parents who say they never lie to their kids are either lying themselves or in denial. I tell outrageous lies to my kids all the time and it makes them laugh. I enjoy a silly, fun home environment so it's very common for me to tell a kid that if they don't stop misbehaving a turnip is going to sprout from their nose. If that means they will need therapy in late life, oh well...at least they'll have a good sense of humor.

:giggle: sounds like me too. I admit that I am not above bribing too. I keep a supply of gummy bears, fruit leathers, and Popsicles!

RainandRedemption 10-06-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megenic (Post 15778773)

But that's a joke. Very different from a lie. I joke with my kids about ridiculous things. You can be truthful and still have a sense of humor

eta~ I think the only reason that would be funny is because a turnip would never grow there.... a kid knows this. If they didn't they would react by being thoughtful "hmm I didn't realize that could happen".