Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Storing apples... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451064)

Mama2ManyBoyz 10-06-2012 09:41 AM

Storing apples...

Our local Aldi has 3lb bags of apples for $2.19. Crazy cheap. How long will they last if I stored them in 5 gallon buckets in the basement? I do have some fridge space as well. Anyone with a better suggestion for storage??

happysmileylady 10-06-2012 10:02 AM

Re: Storing apples...

In my experience from Aldi...not long. But my Aldi has crappy produce.

Ducko 10-06-2012 10:12 AM

You need to store the proper type of apple. Some are suited for long storage some aren't. Then go through and only store perfect ones...no brown/bruised spots. Very large apples also don't store as well. Then wrap each apple in black/white newspaper (not colored) and store them in a box not a bucket (as they need air flow). This will prevent the "one bad apple soiling the barrel". It's ideal to keep them in 30-40 F for storage throughout the whole winter/year long....however, most basements won't go that cold....so with each 10+ F (?? I think that's right) you drop your storage life by half.

Hope that helps. We grew up with a cellar in WA state so we always had apples this way. I would google which apple varieties store well.

JeDeeLenae 10-06-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducko
You need to store the proper type of apple. Some are suited for long storage some aren't. Then go through and only store perfect ones...no brown/bruised spots. Very large apples also don't store as well. Then wrap each apple in black/white newspaper (not colored) and store them in a box not a bucket (as they need air flow). This will prevent the "one bad apple soiling the barrel". It's ideal to keep them in 30-40 F for storage throughout the whole winter/year long....however, most basements won't go that cold....so with each 10+ F (?? I think that's right) you drop your storage life by half.

Hope that helps. We grew up with a cellar in WA state so we always had apples this way. I would google which apple varieties store well.

Wow, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

pgkcb13 10-06-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducko (Post 15777738)

Basically what I was going to say! Leave it to us washintonians, right? ;)

SenoraE 10-06-2012 01:01 PM

NYer here - I would put some in the fridge, then eat from the box first. Aldi apples will be FINE now because it's apple season. Buying apples in June from Aldi - not so great because they have been in storage since fall already. HTH!

hibiscus869 10-06-2012 07:02 PM

I just have to say those apples would be gone in a week at our house, we eat an insane amount of apples. :)

But if your basement is cool I'd think they'd be fine for 2 weeks or so. We often store apples in our garage in winter in boxes, it gets so cold they can last a long time out there!

Ducko 10-06-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgkcb13 (Post 15777996)
Basically what I was going to say! Leave it to us washintonians, right? ;)

:thumbsup: Apples are one of the reasons I love WA. I love me some apples!

pgkcb13 10-06-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducko (Post 15779862)
:thumbsup: Apples are one of the reasons I love WA. I love me some apples!

Yes! Are you from here? I kind of think it's in the blood, lol. My family eats them like crazy!

Ducko 10-07-2012 08:41 AM

Yes, born and raised. My grandpa was an orcharder in Quincy area.