Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   How much do I need to freeze if EP? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451069)

crunchymom2b 10-06-2012 11:12 AM

How much do I need to freeze if EP?

Not sure what kind of an answer I can get but curious. If I end up pumping full time for my LO (with some nursing session but nevera full feed) how much would I need frozen for me to stop pumping in a few months and continue to feed BM for at least 1 year? Right now I keep roughly 4-6 bottles of fresh milk in the fridge at all times, each containing 3-5oz each. Currently I have about 358 frozen, ranging from 2-6oz per bag each. I don't want to have to pump every 2-3 hours for the next 8-12 months (LO is gonna be 5 weeks old on Monday) but I don't want to cut back on sessions, lose my supply and not have enogh frozen. Does that make sense? lol Thanks!

IowaGold 10-06-2012 02:52 PM

Re: How much do I need to freeze if EP?

I don't EP but I am away from DD for 12+ hours 4 days a week. I pumped every 3 hours until DD was 3.5 months old (so about 5 times in that 12 hour day as I pumped on my way home too). At that point I dropped one pump, then at 4 months I dropped a second pump. DD is currently 6 months old and I pump at 7 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM on work days. My supply didn't drop with the dropped pumps, I just pumped more per session. AF came back when I decreased pumps though and now I do notice that my supply dips by a few ounces a day right before I ovulate up through AF (but between AF and "o-day" my supply is as high as it ever was). So I suspect that once your supply is well established you can start lengthening the time between pumps (probably more ideal) or dropping one pump at a time. I think a lot of EPers can get down to 3 or 4 pumps per day once their babies get a bit older.

As to how much you need to freeze, I guess that depends on how much your baby takes on a daily basis. My DD's consumption has remained pretty stable since I went back to work full-time at 3 months other than a few little blips when she had a growth spurt or major schedule change. So once you're comfortable that your baby's consumption has stablized, you need to figure out how much per day multiplied by the number of days you want to exclusively feed stored milk. Personally I'd add an extra 10% or more to make sure you have plenty.

Good luck!

loni1090 10-07-2012 05:22 PM

You have an excellent start! Do not forget that the deep freezer is where the milk can be stored the longest. The amount will change as you LO gets older and starts solids too. So you cannot really calculate as easily. I would just continue pumping, since more is better.

katydid6952 10-08-2012 10:18 AM

I made an initial goal for myself of 3 months.....Well, we hit 3 months and now I made a new goal of 6months (December 25th). I have just about an entire chest freezer (5.1cu ft) full of breast milk. I also have been slowly rotating. I send DD2 with 4 bags of the oldest frozen BM to daycare with 1 bottle of fresh. Anyway, I don't want to be pumping forever so I figure 35oz per day for 30-31 days....is about 1080oz....that is a LOT of BM! LOL