Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ultra Tide and Calgon users, chime in (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451072)

Skybaby712 10-06-2012 10:35 AM

Ultra Tide and Calgon users, chime in

I've been struggling with build up and my diapers not getting clean lately, and I have an old TL and use natural fibers! :banghead:

Original Tide ultra powder is the best that cleans so far (I have not tried Original liquid, but I have tried Tide F&G and many other detergents.) I have moderately hard water and my wash routine is:
Warm rinse, hot wash with Tide ultra, warm or hot wash cycle with no detergent.

When I use 2 tbspoons it rinses out clear, but I still have a few dipes (flats!!) with very slight ammonia. When I use up to line 1 the diapers are pretty much all clean, but I have to do so many extra rinses to get the suds out, and I usually just give up and throw them in the dryer. I finally bought Calgon and used it yesterday. I used 2 tbspoons of tide and 1/4 cup Calgon, and there was so much suds and the diapers didn't really get clean. I've been rinsing out the pee dipes and that got rid of the ammonia at the bottom of the pail, so I don't understand why they're not all getting clean.

How much tide ultra and Calgon does everyone use? Searching old threads it seems most use up to line 1 of tide and 1/4 cup Calgon, but I can only imagine the suds that would make. I'm open to any suggestions :) TIA!

chargerslove 10-06-2012 03:53 PM

I don't use Calgon, but we have hard water. I just use powdered tide ultra up to the 2 line. I never check the washer for suds, but I haven't had a problem with build up or ammonia since switching to all natural fibers.

Mama to Avery (6-4-2010) and our newest love due in December

Skybaby712 10-07-2012 07:52 AM

I got buildup bad because of too much detergent. Maybe I should just use a lot and strip way more often?

Anyone else? I know there's lots of Tide ultra users here!

CaliRoll 10-07-2012 09:13 AM

Re: Ultra Tide and Calgon users, chime in

Could it be the Calgon helped release detergent build up and that's why you saw all the suds? Maybe do some extra rinses the first few times you use the Calgon and see if that helps. I know when I used the OxyClean/Vinegar mixture to strip my inserts (before switching to natural fibers) there were a TON of suds in the washer. I just rinsed a until the suds were gone and did extra rinses for the next few wash days.

Skybaby712 10-07-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliRoll
Could it be the Calgon helped release detergent build up and that's why you saw all the suds? Maybe do some extra rinses the first few times you use the Calgon and see if that helps. I know when I used the OxyClean/Vinegar mixture to strip my inserts (before switching to natural fibers) there were a TON of suds in the washer. I just rinsed a until the suds were gone and did extra rinses for the next few wash days.

You know, that is such a good point! I was thinking of using less Calgon, but maybe I do have buildup still and I just didn't know.