Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is it possible to parent your children without lying to them? Do you try? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451158)

RainandRedemption 10-06-2012 03:46 PM

Is it possible to parent your children without lying to them? Do you try?

I'm just curious to know people's thoughts on this.

Lying as in; intentionally giving them a false view of something, whether by telling them something that's not true or withholding information to give a false perspective.

First question is ~ Is it possible? Second question is ~ Do you attempt to parent without lying?

JeDeeLenae 10-06-2012 04:02 PM

It's possible, but I choose not to. My kids don't need to know everything.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Fairycat 10-06-2012 04:09 PM

Re: Is it possible to parent your children without lying to them? Do you try?

Honestly, you can not be 100% honest in this soceity, it is a culturally excepted norm too ingrained to not continue.

Example;

How are you feeling today?

Honest answers you want to give: Not well, Bad or things are falling apart around me.

Your Answer: Fine, and you?

If your kid asked on one of those days, you know they are going to ask a 1000 questions, if you admit you are anything but fine, are you honestly going to answer truthfully, or are you going to wait, maybe talk your day over with SO and then see if your day gets better, before, blurting it all out to your 6 year old?

Death, Sex, answering embarassing personal questions about your self, your child or that stranger in public, things that are beyond their age understanding, we lie sometimes for very good reasons, sometimes just because it is the excepted norm in some cases, sometimes cause it's easier and sometimes for the wrong reasons, but we all lie to everyone, if we didn't we would come off as pretty big jerks in this society. I have seen people try it, it sucks. I accept I will lie to my kid, but try to do it for good not evil ;)

Now to watch Liar, Liar ;)

jbug_4 10-06-2012 04:13 PM

It is, but I think it would be pretty hard. Especially if your considering withholding information to give a false perspective. And being that honest would take a lot of childhood away from the child. I don't straight out lie (other than Santa, Easter bunny type stuff) but I do withhold stuff. There are lot of things I don't think my 5 year needs the whole truth on.

RainandRedemption 10-06-2012 04:26 PM

Not withholding stuff period. Just withholding things in order to give a false perpective.

rumblepurr 10-06-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainandRedemption (Post 15778777)
Not withholding stuff period. Just withholding things in order to give a false perpective.

Can you give an example of what are we talking about here? Santa Claus, tooth fairy kind of stuff or neighbors dog gets run over and you say something like he found a new home.

bluedaisyma 10-06-2012 04:32 PM

it's possible. i don't lie to my kids ever or withhold info to give a false perspective. saying, "i'm not comfortable discussing that right now" is the truth

jbug_4 10-06-2012 04:33 PM

dp

jbug_4 10-06-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainandRedemption (Post 15778777)

I got that, but you do withhold period to give a false perspective. If that wasn't the point than you wouldn't withhold.

Fishie Kisses 10-06-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumblepurr (Post 15778795)
Can you give an example of what are we talking about here? Santa Claus, tooth fairy kind of stuff or neighbors dog gets run over and you say something like he found a new home.

I too am curious what you're referring to. Once I know what we're talking about here, I will answer lol