Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   halloween costumes.. easy, cheap, handmade? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451166)

My Sweet Blessings 10-06-2012 04:01 PM

halloween costumes.. easy, cheap, handmade?

cheap is very important, prefer handmade, but will buy if it's the cheapest.. .. .. I normally can persuade my boys to dress how I want them to, but that has come to an end. One wants to be Sonic and the other blue angry birds (space version). I need ideas on how to throw this together. it doesn't have to be perfect. I prefer it to not be hot (it's hot down here and they will sweat like crazy), and something that can be worn to school, aka, not bulky or difficult to get off and on for potty trips.

Sonic.. some ideas.. fleece hat, stuff spikes with poly fill. 2 piece for body so my son can go to the potty easily. for kindergartener

Angry birds.. I have no idea. for 2nd grader.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 10-07-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings
cheap is very important, prefer handmade, but will buy if it's the cheapest.. .. .. I normally can persuade my boys to dress how I want them to, but that has come to an end. One wants to be Sonic and the other blue angry birds (space version). I need ideas on how to throw this together. it doesn't have to be perfect. I prefer it to not be hot (it's hot down here and they will sweat like crazy), and something that can be worn to school, aka, not bulky or difficult to get off and on for potty trips.

Sonic.. some ideas.. fleece hat, stuff spikes with poly fill. 2 piece for body so my son can go to the potty easily. for kindergartener

Angry birds.. I have no idea. for 2nd grader.

Get blue fleece and sew to pieces together and cut out the head and arm holes( will not fray)
Get felt and sew( or glue) on embellishments

amyltc 10-09-2012 12:05 AM

Re: halloween costumes.. easy, cheap, handmade?

My 4 yo wanted to be sonic, the costumes are 50.00 +! She changed her mind but we were going to do blue sweats, sneakers with red tape, white gloves, and spike hair and spray it blue.

Mamata3 10-09-2012 01:31 AM

My friend did angry birds last year. She used felt and sewed a large circle then did the face and glued it on.

peverroad 10-09-2012 06:00 AM

My 2 decided they want to be zombies so it isn't going to cost us anything. I have makeup green and black eyeshadow and looked on YouTube for how to so makeup. They are going to wear old ripped up stained clothes. We're going to put some fake blood on them and make them look dirty and wore in.

bfuzzy2 10-10-2012 02:08 PM

Can anyone help with a ninja costume? I was thinking all black clothes, make a cardboard sword (dollar store out of the foam ones) which he could decorate himself. How do I make something that goes over his head? I was thinking a face mask hat, but Target wanted $15. Maybe the dollar store might have one? Some emblem we could pin on his shirt out of fleece or felt? I am so not creative! Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

Kelly

My Sweet Blessings 10-10-2012 04:08 PM

I think I figured out what I am going to do with the angry birds. I think I am going to get 2 poster boards, cut them to shape, paint them, and link them like a sandwich board. He'll wear plain clothes under neath it. I think this will be the cheapest option since all I will need to buy is 2 poster boards and some flat rope or something to link them. I think I might have an old belt I can use. This way, he'll get to put the poster on his wall when he's done wearing it.

ninja... I'd go with black pants and a long sleeve big baggy black t shirt. get some red fleece and make a strip to wrap around his waist. you can do another red strip around his forehead.

harmoni247 10-10-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfuzzy2 (Post 15794574)
Can anyone help with a ninja costume? I was thinking all black clothes, make a cardboard sword (dollar store out of the foam ones) which he could decorate himself. How do I make something that goes over his head? I was thinking a face mask hat, but Target wanted $15. Maybe the dollar store might have one? Some emblem we could pin on his shirt out of fleece or felt? I am so not creative! Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

Kelly

We were going to use a black balaclava pulled up to the eyes, but DS changed his mind. If you don't have all his winter stuff already, and you are planning to get a face covering, just get black and count it towards your winterizing budget?

bfuzzy2 10-12-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings (Post 15795132)
I think I figured out what I am going to do with the angry birds. I think I am going to get 2 poster boards, cut them to shape, paint them, and link them like a sandwich board. He'll wear plain clothes under neath it. I think this will be the cheapest option since all I will need to buy is 2 poster boards and some flat rope or something to link them. I think I might have an old belt I can use. This way, he'll get to put the poster on his wall when he's done wearing it.

ninja... I'd go with black pants and a long sleeve big baggy black t shirt. get some red fleece and make a strip to wrap around his waist. you can do another red strip around his forehead.

That is a great idea on making it out of poster board. More bang for your buck since he can hang it in his room afterwards :thumbsup:

Like the idea of the red fleece belt & for around his head thanks :goodvibes:

bfuzzy2 10-12-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmoni247 (Post 15795329)
We were going to use a black balaclava pulled up to the eyes, but DS changed his mind. If you don't have all his winter stuff already, and you are planning to get a face covering, just get black and count it towards your winterizing budget?

I agree on the hat for winter use :thumbsup: I have checked the resale shops but havent found any. I will look at Walmart and the dollar tree this weekend :)