Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fluff w disposable wipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451197)

Nixxi 10-06-2012 06:54 PM

Fluff w disposable wipes

We are going to be exclusively cloth diapering our son who will be here near the end of December. I do have some cloth wipes and will prob get more. However just because baby wipes are sooo handy for so many things and my husband is intimidated by cloth wipes we will be using mostly disposable. Is that weird? I know most mommas use cloth wipes. I read that you can thrown them in your diaper pail and wash them and they don't shred up so I would probably do that, then throw them away. Do any of you mommas do that? Thanks!

cryswilkins 10-06-2012 07:02 PM

I did and it wasn't a big deal, but using all cloth wipes is way easier. I was super intimidated by cloth wipes to begin with too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Kelly3139 10-06-2012 07:47 PM

Re: Fluff w disposable wipes

I started with disposable too. Then when I made the switch to cloth, I was surprised by how much easier it was and they clean the baby so much better! When away from home I carry pre-moistened wipes in a reusable Huggies wipe container. Works like a charm and you get more for your money. I went simple with single layer flannel wipes and they work great!
The brand of disposables matters on the shredding part. I was using pampers sensitive wipes with Aplix diapers and it was a disaster in the wash and a pain to pick out of the aplix.

Jlg325j 10-06-2012 07:52 PM

I kept trying the cloth wipes but never liked them. I would always switch back to disposables.

KelseyH 10-06-2012 07:57 PM

We have yet to get cloth wipes (just switched) and it is SOOO annoying to have to throw away one disposable wipe. I think cloth wipes would actually be more convenient at this point. We will probably still keep some baby wipes around for sticky hands or things like that, though. And we always have a pack in the car just in case.

We just cleaned out our drain pump screen on our washer and there were half a dozen nursing pads, a sock, and tons of lint clogging it. I haven't used nursing pads since Jan/Feb. I would be afraid to wash them because if a nursing pad can fit through the drain pipe, certainly wipes can. And I would think they'd eventually break down, make it through the screen in pieces, and into the pump and impeller. Or maybe I'm just paranoid because that's fresh in my mind. Lol

Mommy0912 10-06-2012 08:03 PM

We switched and I think it is a lot easier. Everything goes in the pail together, no stinky wipes in the trash :)

AZmommy 10-06-2012 08:30 PM

I use both I use cloth wipes at home for 90% of the changes but I like to use one sposie wipes after a poo diaper to kinda give that finial clean.. I also use sposie wipes on the go I am forever forgetting to pack cloth wipes so I gave up trying. We use huggies wipes they go through the wash okay though I do tend to just trash them as used.. I jsut like the thickness and they dont irritate the baby so I stick to those.
Still LOVE my cloth wipes they are super easy and super convient.

Deanna

lalaith 10-06-2012 08:35 PM

Meh, we use both. It's not any more difficult to tossed the washed disposable wipes in the trash than it is to put the cloth ones in the wipes bin. Maybe if I premoistened them it would be easier, the spray bottle canbe a pain.

Brand counts. Pampers and seventh gen were flimsy, but huggies wipes are on par with my flannel ones.

bethj516 10-06-2012 08:45 PM

We use cloth wipes at home and disposables in the diaper bag. For some reason, I can't ever remember to replace the cloth wipes in the bag.

KLeeCW 10-06-2012 09:02 PM

I was surprised at how obnoxious I found disposable wipes to be when we started cding our newbie. Having to throw away poop covered wipes in the garbage just to sit until we took the trash out was gross. Flushing them is a no no. And not all wipes brands will hold up to accidentally being tossed in the wash (aka you end up with clean diaper laundry covered in wipe lint). We are finishing up our container of disposable wipes and switching to cloth wipes full time. I actually prefer cloth wipes in the diaper bag and have a mini spray bottle to wet them with. With disposables in the bag, I either have to find a trash can to put them in (don't always change LO next to a trash) or I put it in the wet bag and have to hope I remember to take it out. Plus, with cloth I can wet one with my spray bottle to clean and use a second dry one to dry off DD to avoid diaper rash. My mom made all of ours with clearance flannel and her serger. I have around 60 and the total cost was around $10 for fabric.