Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Making Cloth Wipes Question? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451218)

Mommabeebritt 10-06-2012 07:16 PM

Making Cloth Wipes Question?

I hope I am posting this in the right place.. I'm new so if not just let me know where I should post this too :)

I'm starting to make my own cloth wipes, I'm going to be using a serger most likely however I do have a regular sewing machine as well I might be using

For all of you that make cloth wipes or use them
-What is the best fabric to use?
-How big do you like to make yours? (or like to have them)
-What method do you use (serger or regular stitch)?

I really want to make some with a softer backing on them like minky but, I feel like they will get messed up in the wash. So if you use them how do they hold up?

keepingitdry2012 10-06-2012 09:05 PM

Re: Making Cloth Wipes Question?

I used OBV (organic bamboo)...it was the BEST....serger, flannel one side, bamboo on the other...

Mommabeebritt 10-06-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepingitdry2012 (Post 15779767)
I used OBV (organic bamboo)...it was the BEST....serger, flannel one side, bamboo on the other...

Thank you! I'll look out for bamboo

MotherMoonPads 10-06-2012 09:31 PM

I really dislike OBV wipes. OBV becomes crunchy over time, and wipes see a TON of use. I prefer flannel backed with cotton velour, and I serge all of my wipes.

Manderzthegr8 10-06-2012 09:47 PM

I just used flannel. Double sided, turned and topstiched. (I don't have a serger... so that wasn't an option for me)
So far they are still working fine and aren't rough or anything after 8 months.
I know in other threads I have read that people really like flannel on one side and a soft terry on the other. I've been meaning to sew a few up but haven't had the time.

:goodvibes:

OrganicMom 10-06-2012 09:51 PM

Our favorites over the years (and also the ones that have held up the best) are the basic two-sided flannel ones. Minkee is wonderful and soft, but since it's polyester, it's not absorbent and in my opinion doesn't make for a great wipe. 8x8 is a good size. However I found that I ended up making 6x8 since I could get more wipes/yard. I tend to make wipes to make the best use of fabric (measure the width and then figure out how many wipes wide to cut).

sisu 10-06-2012 10:06 PM

My favorite wipes of all time are a single layer, bamboo/cotton blend, double-sided baby terry, about 9" square and serged. Love them! I don't like two-layer wipes at all, the layers always separate mid-wipe, lol. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me. :p

chickapin 10-07-2012 09:27 AM

I like double-sided cotton velour. 8x8 serged squares.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 10-07-2012 09:55 AM

I make mine with cotton velour on one side and flannel on the other. I have a serger, but I prefer them to be turned and too stitched with a regular machine.

*Peanut* 10-07-2012 09:59 AM

5x8 to fit in the warmer, flannel on one side, ocv on the other, serged. :)