Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Rebuilding supply (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451263)

shesaidwat 10-06-2012 10:03 PM

Rebuilding supply

So we had 3 weeks of my daughter nursing every 20 minutes and screaming non stop when she wasn't nursing, aside from the 6 hours she'd sleep at night. (and that was with 1-2 feedings interrupting it. We finally caved and supplemented formula. Well, with two feedings a day of formula she was super happy, but my boobs like STOPPED producing. I can get 2-3 ounces every 2-3 days. I've started taking Fenugreek, and pumping every night, but need some encouragement and tips for upping my supply. I'd like to get my daughter back on to more me than formula.

KelseyH 10-06-2012 10:38 PM

Nurse, nurse, nurse! That's the best thing. Stay hydrated, but it sounds like you're doing that. Fenugreek should help. Oatmeal for breakfast couldn't hurt. :) good luck!

neuro_mom 10-06-2012 10:50 PM

Re: Rebuilding supply

Extra pumping sessions after you nurse also helps though it's a pain in the neck to do. You can also try adding Blessed Thistle to the Fenugreek (see kellymom.com for information) in addition to eating oatmeal.

twood80 10-06-2012 11:22 PM

Pump the off-side while LO nurses, if you can manage the juggling act. Pump frequently even if LO isn't nursing. Avoid things that can tank your supply (if the winter cold season has already hit, don't take sudefed). And yes, well hydrated and good nutrition.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 10-06-2012 11:29 PM

Lots of water and eat lots of oatmeal, if your a soda drinker, cut back on it some.:hugs:

l_Kimmie_l 10-07-2012 07:17 AM

I had to go on Reglan to get my supply back. I am on that and fenugreek. I also breastfeed as much as I can and it worked. I always offered the breast before the bottle and after. THat really helped my supply. I got an SNS system too that helped to give him what he wanted, but stimulate the breast at the same time.

I went from breastfeeding only 2 times per day to EBFing him now.

DragonnMama 10-10-2012 10:49 AM

I also used the prescription route to rebuild my supply -- Domperidone -- and it worked SO well. I also pumped like mad and took enough Fenugreek to be smelling like pancakes (up to 9 500mg capsules a day!).

shesaidwat 10-13-2012 04:06 PM

Thank you for all the support ladies. But sadly I've had to toss in the nursing cover. I've been pumping, and trying to feed her and taking fenugreek till I'm nauseaus. But nothing... I now get absolutely nothing when I pump for 5-6 minutes. And Ava sucks for a minute then gets mad cuz she's not getting anything either. I tried at least right? :-(

MommyNicoleof3 10-13-2012 04:09 PM

Thats a bummer that you had to stop. Its a tough decision but you have to do whats best for you and your LO. Good luck!

loni1090 10-14-2012 09:46 PM

Don't be too sad, you did your best