Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Wake a newborn to feed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451268)

EuphoricDysphoria 10-06-2012 11:24 PM

Wake a newborn to feed?

Forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I have a 2 week old and I'm pumping exclusively because she won't latch/suck. With the bottle she gets about 60-80ml of EBM each feed which right now is every 3 hours. I'm starting to think she's being overfeed because she's so tired ALL THE TIME and EVERY feed is a struggle to get her to wake up.

Should I be waking her every 3 hours to eat still or should I back off and let her take the lead?

Thanks

keen1981 10-06-2012 11:28 PM

How's weight gain?

Some babies are happy to starve. So at 2 weeks, yes, wake.

I would wake every TWO hours, attempt 1.5-2 ounces, burping every 1/2 ounce. Takes patience, those first few weeks.

At night, wake, every three. And attempt 2.5 ounces.

Yarnjess 10-06-2012 11:29 PM

Re: Wake a newborn to feed?

Is weight gain an issue? Is she having enough wet and poopy diapers? If she's gaining and having enough output, I personally wouldn't worry too much about waking her to eat. But, if she hasn't been gaining weight or her output is less than normal, keep waking her up. The only times I woke my DD to eat was when I was engorged or during the brief period that her weight was a concern. Newborns do sleep a LOT. She'll start to have longer wakeful periods soon.

EuphoricDysphoria 10-06-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15780055)
How's weight gain?

Some babies are happy to starve. So at 2 weeks, yes, wake.

I would wake every TWO hours, attempt 1.5-2 ounces, burping every 1/2 ounce. Takes patience, those first few weeks.

At night, wake, every three. And attempt 2.5 ounces.

She had jaundice and they said to get 70ml each feed. She's now over it. I don't know if this information will be useful for your response to my next question.

You think I should lower how much I'm feeding during the day but continue with the same amount/frequency at night? Is this because she's so tired/lazy? I can't even get her to suck properly because she rarely eats while awake.

ETA: Weight gain was fine in hospital. Born at 7lbs 8oz, then went down to 6lbs 10oz a week later but in hospital gained a fair amount. I'll know more about weight gain at our appointment on Monday. Each feed she has a poop almost and pees each feed as well.

keen1981 10-06-2012 11:46 PM

I think you should increase her frequency to get her more practice, and to be sure that weight gain is good. 1.5-2 ounces per two hours is pretty standard.

Most babies consume 1 ounce per hour, on average, so use that as your gauge. That does not increase with age.

Check kellymom.com milk calculator.

Babies younger than 4 weeks often don't take the entire ounce. Small tiny tummy and the practice needed. So trying frequently (at least 12x a day) ensures she gets the practice needed :)

Babies also 'shut down' to where you think they are sleeping. But they aren't. Who could sleep thru ice cold washcloths or firm back rubbing? They aren't sleeping. They are blocking you out because you have over stimulated them. So while you try to wake, go about it gently and have patience. My oldest shut down a lot, my youngest, didn't. So it's based on the baby. There used to be an awesome video on it on the web but I can't find it :( while she is eating, keep raising her arms and kissing fingers, ect to try to keep her awake. The arm raise is often a good trick.

GL mmomma! That first two weeks is usually slumber time! Most babies act like they are almost drugged. Probably intensely over stimulating after being in the womb. Her next weigh in will tell you soooo much more!!! If she is right on target, you can relax :) if she's not where she should be, then readjust.

keen1981 10-06-2012 11:49 PM

I did find this.

http://life.familyeducation.com/brea...ing/35913.html

It might help :)

jacquelinemarie82 10-06-2012 11:51 PM

Personally I woudn't worry about it because I am not a worrier when it comes to that. I trust my baby and their body. I won't wake at night but will during the day to help them understand days and nights. However, I will not force feed. As long as they are gaining weight and have no known health issues and have normal diapers, I am fine with following their lead. My daughter would sometimes eat every 2 hours when newborn and sometimes it was more like 3 1/2 so in general, I didn't wake her. She let me know. I am not an expert however.

Just keep in mind that a confident and calm mother is a good thing too for a child.

mommy2kaitlyn 10-07-2012 12:09 AM

I forget how ml convert however my DD was fed ebm also. At 2 weeks she was 2-4 oz every 3-4 hrs. My Ped said don't go more then 4 hrs and let her determin amount. By 6 weeks she was upto almost 8 oz every 4 hrs accept at night she went 6 hrs.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.

earthflower 10-07-2012 12:33 AM

I think you could stretch it to 4hrs if she is asleep.

Dmpmercury 10-07-2012 12:41 AM

My oldest was really sleepy as a newborn. I would wake her for feeds every 2 hours during the day but I let her go a little longer at night.