Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any other hyperemesis Mommas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451282)

ingrid5699 10-06-2012 11:56 PM

Any other hyperemesis Mommas?

And do you have any coping strategies especially for taking care of kids and their food needs? (TMI but right now I prepare cold stuff next to the sink and puke as needed UGH)

I've had hyperemesis pregnancies with DS and DD and also with my first m/c before DS (that was a triplet pregnancy). Just regular nausea and vomiting with my loss in February but this time it's awful already and definitely hyperemesis. Despite meds I'm not keeping much down and it scares me considering I'm only 6+3 and my worst time is usually between 10-14w.

Also what do you do about working? I think if this continues I'll definitely need a sick leave but with my history of multiple losses I HATE having to tell early.

leyash 10-07-2012 08:26 AM

Re: Any other hyperemesis Mommas?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I have HG, but it's definitely bad. It's rare that I don't throw up daily... several times a day. I am usually able to eat something small and feel a tiny bit better, very temporarily. As far as food for the kids goes, I am SO lucky to have an amazing 11 year old that helps me out TREMENDOUSLY. I also have a ton of fruits and vegetables in easy reach for them, so they can get their own snacks (heck, sometimes they eat veggies for lunch). I also have easily accessible snack foods, which the are allowed to munch on as they please (dried apple slices, popcorn balls, cheese sticks, etc). My oldest two are in school, and my youngest (4 1/2) is pretty easy to please, so I can throw him a banana and wheat crackers, and he's good to go.

ingrid5699 10-07-2012 08:52 AM

I'd love an 11yo who could help but mine are 5 and 3 so definitely nowhere near self sufficient. The little one is easy but my 5yo is such a picky eater and hates most cold foods so it's been hard. Thankfully they eat a warm lunch at school during the week so I don't feel too bad about the cereal etc for dinner. I need to push DH to help out more but it's hard because he's working so much.

mapleleaf88 10-07-2012 11:22 AM

Oh mama! I'm suffering through the same thing, but it's finally subsided to "normal" morning sickness.
For about a month I missed a lot of work, and if I wasn't able to work from home I would have had to take a sick leave for sure!
DH would make sandwiches, etc. and leave them in the fridge. Dss is 6 and is competent enough to take the sandwiches out of the fridge and feed himself and the baby, as long as I lift and strap him into his high chair. Diaper changes are pure heck!!
Dss has also learned to make today! And poor his own drinks! It's awesome. Without his independence, I'd have had to tell people and ask them to come help me when DH is at work.

Hope4More 10-07-2012 11:31 AM

I had hyperemesis with Ds from 5+3 to 2 days post delivery. Most days 4-8 mg of Zofran helped, but some days I needed 12. DEFinately talk to your doctor - the point of meds is to not only stop you from throwing up but allow you to eat and keep it in as well. I am 5+5 today, the hyperemesis has been back since 4+1, and it's worse with this little bug. If I take 4mg, I can not throw up on an empty stomach, but whatever I eat comes back up. At 8 mg I can eat certain items, although smells will likely throw me through the whole pg. Again, my worst was between 9 and 40, so I'm a bit nervous as well. But there are women who take much more than 4 or 8 mg. They can even put a PIC line in you with a constant drip if it means creating a healthy baby. Not eating and throwing up can have long lasting effects on your liver, so it needs to be taken care of.

I remember last pg that I would stop at meijer every day on my way home, pick of a freezer meal, and cook that. No smell, from freezer to oven. I think DH seriously considered moving in with his mom :D

Christylkeller 10-07-2012 03:28 PM

:hugs::hugs: Hugs momma! I have been there for my 1st 3 pregnancies. And like you it lasted all day. I only worked during my 1st pregnancy, so I don't have much to offer, because it was just hubby and me, so I often came home and passed out. I was VERY thankful that I didn't work during my other pregnancies that I was so sick in. As far as feeding children, I found converting one of my crisper drawers into a healthy food drawer that was child friendly saved me. I kept cheese sticks, yogurts, applesauce and juices in that drawer. I also kept a basket on the counter with pretzel bags, granola bars, and other snacky type foods that were easy for them to grab. While some of the food was not ideal, it served a very temporary purpose in feeding the children when I was too sick to. As for my eating... hahaha! I remember in my 3rd pregnancy only eating 2 Thomas's Onion bagels, toasted crispy with butter and cream cheese, 1 can of coke and plain liptons hot tea for 15 weeks. That was seriously my daily diet. I couldn't drink water because I would just puke it back up and puked up water is gross. I would puke up the tea, but it had NO flavor coming back up.

Good luck momma in finding what works for you!

L&A'smommy 10-07-2012 06:15 PM

I'm on my 4th HG pregnancy. I'm not sure if you know but there is helpher.org and on Facebook Ayden Rae Foundation both offering support and BTDT mamas.

I honestly am not sure how Made it through. I was on a zofran pump with #2 and did the dissolvables with the last 2 pregnancies. I've spent a lot of time at the er for fluids. I did create a snack drawer for my DD with ziplock baggies she can open so can can get her own snacks. They ate out a lot when I just couldn't cook. I hope you find a combo of meds/ fluids/ vitamins that works for you mama. :hugs:

ktmelody 10-07-2012 09:59 PM

I am. Hg sucks. I have had HG for my last 5 pregnacies. This time I am getting zofran pump and phengran injections. Hopefully this week. I cannot make it through another Hg pregnancy and stay out of a mental hospital. Its so awful. :(

mapleleaf88 10-07-2012 10:11 PM

I've felt so desperate to do anything to make it stop... Last time it was awful, but then I got meds and I was fine (although I'd already lost enough weight to be considered HG, and had to be rehydrated via IV)... but this time it's not responding to meds.
I can definitely see how one might end up in a mental hospital!!
Honestly, if one more person tells me to eat crackers or drink ginger ale, I will vomit directly on them!

ingrid5699 10-08-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf88 (Post 15783359)
Honestly, if one more person tells me to eat crackers or drink ginger ale, I will vomit directly on them!

LOL Yeah that sums it up nicely!

I guess I'm sort of lucky because I am surrounded by medical people and able to get IVs at home as needed and Zofran as needed. Which is a rarity here in Austria-hyperemesis 'treatment' consists of being admitted to the hospital and spending weeks there on IVs.

Snack drawer for the kids is definitely on my to do list.

I'm trying to suck it up this week through work. Thankfully I'm part time so it's do-able especially since I still have a 'honeymoon' phase of only being nauseous and not puking every 5 minutes in the middle of the day. If I'm still this sick (or sicker which is more likely...) next week I'll probably take some sick leave.