Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Slightly OT: Do you use your homemade wipes on hands/face? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451283)

Arizonah13 10-07-2012 12:06 AM

Slightly OT: Do you use your homemade wipes on hands/face?

I've been trying to come up with a homemade, safe hand-wipe solution for my LO for when we're out and about and/or I need a quick, anti-cootie hand wipe. It seems hard to find anything marked as "homemade hand sanitizing wipe" that isn't mostly rubbing alcohol.

So, I was wondering if anyone has used the same homemade solution for their baby wipe fluid as hand-cleaning wipes?

For instance, I use about 1.5-2 cups filtered water, a couple teaspoons worth coconut oil, a tiny squirt of baby wash, and maybe 3-5 drops TTO for her fanny wipes (I do sometimes use those wipes to clean her neck, feet, etc too).

Anyway, would the above concoction be safe for using on her little hands too? (especially taking into consideration that her hands go in her mouth often) Or perhaps with some tweaking?

ETA: I also have lavender, lemon and peppermint EO and castile soap at my disposal if any of those would be a good addition/substitute for the stuff I use in the baby wipes.

armywife21 10-07-2012 12:19 AM

Re: Slightly OT: Do you use your homemade wipes on hands/face?

My personal uneducated opinion is that its probably safer than using a regular baby wipe (who knows whats in that) or even some soaps on your baby. I think that recipe sounds awesome!

BirthdayMama 10-07-2012 01:04 AM

That's basically exactly the recipe I use on my wipes, and I use them for faces and hands regularly.

momgoddess 10-07-2012 01:25 AM

Yep. I use them to wash her face all the time...whether it be a runny nose, spit up or baby food!

BTW, I have found that I don't need TTO in my wipe solution because the coconut oil has the same (if not better) antibacterial and antimicrobial properties as TTO. My wipes don't get funky and I don't care for the smell of it, so I leave it out. I use quite a bit of coconut oil in my solution, though.

Arizonah13 10-07-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks ladies! Do you think the above mix would keep a batch of hand wipes free of mildew/mold for about a week (maybe more)? (with or without the TTO)? And should I increase the amount of coconut oil?

Thanks again :)

dannic 10-07-2012 01:17 PM

I'm not sure on the keeping, but don't put peppermint oil in it! little hands in mouth and eyes would burn.
lavender and coc oil would be a good combo, and tto too.

ServingHim 10-07-2012 01:19 PM

I store our wipes dry in a basket. When needed I just wet with water to wash face/hands or whatever. :)

Charrey 10-07-2012 09:41 PM

Tea tree oil may cause burning around the eyes. They may not in such a low concentration, so maybe just try them yourself first?