Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Frustrated! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451303)

threec's 10-07-2012 07:13 AM

Frustrated!

So my DD is 9 weeks, and she is my second (of three) who has an allergy to dairy and soy. I'm suspecting there may be something else too. So naturally I eliminate dairy and soy, which means I don't eat really anything packaged, just fresh fruit, veggies, meat, eggs, stuff like that. I try and follow a strict paleo diet anyway so it's not that unusual for me.
Anytime I'm with my mom, and we're eating, it's nothing but comments like "really, even soybean oil in salad dressing will upset her?" etc, etc. Her, and so many people can't believe I'd be willing to keep breastfeeding with such a "restricted" diet. I get so many comments on "wow, what CAN you eat?". It's so frustrating! I'm not going to quit doing what is best for my child just b/c it's a little harder for me to eat. Seriously? We're talking about 12-18 months of my life! It's just starting to get under my skin and I needed to vent before I say something mean :)
Oh, and it's taken her over 2 years to finally get it into her head that my son can't have cheese. While I was in the hospital having DD she took my boys out for pizza and cheese laden food nearly every day. So once I got home from the hospital, I had to deal with not only a newborn, but a 2 year old with some severe tummy aches for a couple days while it worked it's way out of his system. :banghead::banghead:
I love my mom, but she's just a little slow to pick up here!

cacasey1981 10-07-2012 08:47 AM

Re: Frustrated!

You should point out how expensive formula would be with those allergies.

l_Kimmie_l 10-07-2012 08:52 AM

My mother was the same way with my last baby. It drove me crazy. You are doing the best thing for your baby.

tibeca 10-07-2012 11:21 AM

Perhaps if you explain that there are no formulas that are dairy AND soy free that cost less than $80/can they might better understand. ;)

loni1090 10-08-2012 02:13 PM

I think that it is a generation thing. My mom did not nurse any of my sisters or I because that was not the thing to do. Every time my DS #1 would cry, she would say, "Maybe you are not making enough milk." I got frustrated with her saying that one day, I expressed some milk to show her I had some, and I ended up squirting DS #1 in the forehead. I started laughing when it happened, and she stopped harping on me about my milk supply.

mibarra 10-08-2012 03:30 PM

Ugh, that sounds like my mom. The 'even such and such' comments I usually respond with "Well, do it have X in it? Then NO, I can't have it". The cheese thing is crazy!! Does she not know where cheese comes from?? What does she think dairy means? I would have been really upset about that... So sorry :(

Armymom31 10-08-2012 03:34 PM

You are doing great!!! Keep it up. No matter what people say you are doing the right thing. :)

mommabritt 10-08-2012 03:37 PM

Ugh.

My mom constantly says things like 'you were allergic to my breast milk and had to have prescription formula'. When I tell her it's more likely I was allergic to what was IN her milk she says flatly No, i think the dr would have told me that. Okay mom.

mandabug2 10-10-2012 02:37 PM

One of my twins had the same allergies and I also cut those things out of my diet. Like you, I always got the, "really, even that much will upset him?" I really wanted to scream, "If you want to watch him scream, cry, and be in pain then I'll check for you...not!"
I feel for you mama! :hugs:

tibeca 10-12-2012 08:39 PM

I am currently tandem nursing. I am currently avoiding 13 different things (it is technically more, but I count them as groups, stone fruits, potatoes, etc).

3 foods are for me
6 foods for my older nursling
4 for the younger

My youngest probably has some of the same allergies as me and DD2, but since she is ebf, we won't know for a while yet. Formula would more or less kill my kids. It is a great thing we do when we limit ourselves for our children's good.