Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   How do you store your homemade chicken stock? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451305)

madebymommy 10-07-2012 07:15 AM

How do you store your homemade chicken stock?

I'm not what you would consider a true homesteader (I WISH but the piece of land we live on is tiny!) but I.do a LOT of freezing, canning and from-scratch cooking with produce and meat I buy from the local farms. I bought a HUGE chicken the other day and cooked it in the crock pot. We ate about 1/3 of the meat, so I pick the carcass clean and then use the rest to make homemade stock. How do you guys store your stock? I ended up freezing it in bags but WHAT a mess! I'm wondering if I should freeze it in quart jars next time... I'd love any ideas! Thanks!

3lilbubs 10-07-2012 08:14 AM

Re: How do you store your homemade chicken stock?

I freeze it in the little ziplock disposible tupperware containers. I can't remember what size, I think it's 16oz since most recipes call for 2c. I have read several places that freezing in iced cube trays then dumping in a bag is convenient but I rarely have use for such small amounts.

madebymommy 10-07-2012 08:46 AM

Ooh, I'll have to look into those, that would surely be less messy! I use the stock to make big pots of soup (I have curried butternut squash cooking right now!) so I usually freeze them in bags filled with 5 or 6 cups each. I looked into canning it but it seems like kind of a pain! Thanks!

raisingcropsandbabies 10-07-2012 10:23 AM

After i skim the fat off the top (when it is cold), i freeze it in 1 cup portions in a small ziploc then put all the ziploc baggies in a gallon freezer bag. I find if i only do 1 cup portions (using a pyrex measuring cup with spout), it is less messy.

DCAMama 10-08-2012 08:04 AM

I can my stock. I like to be able to just put it out of the pantry when I need it and not have to remember to take it out of the freezer.

KelseyH 10-08-2012 08:21 AM

I didn't want to mess with bags, either, and I was worried about the plastic being heated, so I bought a few cheap ice trays and poured the stock in there and froze it. Now there are little 3-4 oz chunks in a freezer bag that I can just grab when I need them!

Holly dolly 10-08-2012 08:29 AM

I've done beef and chicken in jars before. I tend to use them quickly so I usually just hot bath them. Sometimes it's only 2 or. 3 jars at a time.

Patchworktiner 10-08-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly dolly
I've done beef and chicken in jars before. I tend to use them quickly so I usually just hot bath them. Sometimes it's only 2 or. 3 jars at a time.

How frightening! You really need to PC meats to kill bacteria.

Sorry to be so blunt but I really felt I had to say something. Don't want anyone getting sick or even worse, dying from mishandling meats.

chloecat 10-08-2012 11:30 AM

i pressure can mine. we did 50 quart jars of chicken stock this year and will do a ton of ground hamburger and venison this winter too

specialdelivery 10-08-2012 01:08 PM

I usually freeze mine in jars, about 16-24 ounces depending on the jar.