Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question about wool, inserts, and pul (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451347)

tinytushi 10-07-2012 10:44 AM

Question about wool, inserts, and pul

I have been lurking for over a year while ttc. I am now pg so decided it was time to start asking questions. I see many people use wool as diaper covers. Everytime I have tried to wear wool it STINGS! Is this a special kind of wool used for diaper covers? How does it not sting or itch?

I have also been practicing sewing diapers. I would like to start cloth immediately and my husband has said NO to prefolds and covers. I was trying to find out if cheapy trifold wash cloths would offer enough absorbency for a newborn or if I should combine it with flannel and/or microfiber toweling? I hope to get some hemp or bamboo eventually, but all I have now is the above mentioned.

As for the PUL.... If I put a cute flannel or cotton print over the outside will it wick? And does anyone have a favorite free newborn pattern for small babies? Preferably with umbilical scoop or snap down? My other 3 kiddos were 6lbs. 2oz., 6lbs. 9oz., and 6lbs. 12oz. with chicken legs. I am expecting this one to be similar in size.

Thanks for your help!

nonipie 10-07-2012 10:53 AM

Re: Question about wool, inserts, and pul

I can't help with the sewing but as for wool, there are many different types and not all are created equal. The wool most use for covers is very soft and gets softer with use and lanolization. I would imagine most wool we encounter for wearing is stripped of all lanolin automatically making it less soft.

For the prefolds/wash cloths, I honestly think it would be easier and cheaper to buy them. If he doesn't want to use them fine but you certainly can if you want. They are a fantastic and reliable diaper combo for newborns.

aemarques 10-11-2012 03:10 AM

I'm not at all familiar with sewing diapers so I cant help you there! Wish I was though :)

As for wool, I think it's just wool we wear is different and diaper wool especially after being lanolized it is nice and soft. It's still wool, but very soft and I'd say much more comfortable and breathable to wear compared to PUL. I love wool, thought it was crazy at first, but its my favorite wish I had funds to buy a whole stash of it!

Also I really wanted prefolds for my dd but knew DH wouldn't stand for it, but I'm home with her 99% of the time and i change every diaper when I'm home so I bought prefolds and we love them. We have other diapers too and daddy thinks the prefolds are wierd but he doesn't change her and isn't home to see most days so its okay. Daddy changes maybe two diapers a week which is 100% fine with me :)

Christen9302 10-11-2012 12:32 PM

I have sewn some of my toddlers fitteds using the free Rita's Rump pattern online, and love them. I am also expecting and want to make some newborn ones, and read a suggestion to reduce the pattern to 80% size on your printer/copier for a newborn. I printed it out this way, but still dragging my feet on actually sewing one, so I can't compare it size wise to other newborn diapers I've bought. As for material, I'm not a huge fan of sewing with PUL, so mine either have a fleece outer or a hidden layer of fleece, and my kiddo can wear them for 2-3 hrs without feeling damp on the outside. Wouldn't recommend it for day's you're out and about though.

RockinLou 10-11-2012 04:53 PM

it's not free, but the LaDiDa pattern fit perfectly on my 6 pound son, even without the snap down... let me see if I can find a photo....

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSC_0133.jpg

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSC_0131.jpg

I made a dozen of them out of old t-shirts, so since I was upcycling materials at home, it was not a big deal to buy the pattern. I'm sewing up more for a baby gift soon....

as for wool, my sister has an allergy to wool, and gets painful and terribly itchy sensations from it, and lingering rash, so it is entirely possible that it doesn't work for you, but fleece is a nice, cheap alternative!

hcokasil 10-11-2012 05:26 PM

I'm on my phone and don't know how to link, but there is a GREAT pattern that's free and has small newborn...I'll go see if I can at least find the name, otherwise I'll link you when i'm at my computer!

Era: I think its darling diapers...just google it...

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!

TrennaII 10-11-2012 05:52 PM

You might like to check out Diaper Sewing Divas website for a lot lot lot lot more about sewing diapers!

Often the thing that bothers people about wool clothing isn't the wool itself, but the chemicals it was processed with. That's my issue. When I felt my son's wool covers (Imse Vimse machine washable), I wished I could have clothes made from that!

tinytushi 10-11-2012 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone for responding. As far as the prefolds, I do plan on getting some for me, but dh and I are both working part time so it will be 50/50 on changing baby.

RockinLou- those pics are too cute! What did you use for the absorbent part? I am not sure how much of anything to use. I have a bunch of t-shirts, but how many layers? Is that what you used for the inserts also? I also have about 1 yard of pul, microfiber towels, flannel and anti pill fleece.

Does anti pill fleece work as a soaker for overnight? It is the anti pill from Joann's. Is that good?

Also, can you put microfleece (not microfiber) in a fitted as a stay dry?

I will look for the diaper sewing divas.

Thanks for all your help ladies!

RockinLou 10-11-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinytushi (Post 15799890)
Thanks everyone for responding. As far as the prefolds, I do plan on getting some for me, but dh and I are both working part time so it will be 50/50 on changing baby.

RockinLou- those pics are too cute! What did you use for the absorbent part? I am not sure how much of anything to use. I have a bunch of t-shirts, but how many layers? Is that what you used for the inserts also? I also have about 1 yard of pul, microfiber towels, flannel and anti pill fleece.

Does anti pill fleece work as a soaker for overnight? It is the anti pill from Joann's. Is that good?

Also, can you put microfleece (not microfiber) in a fitted as a stay dry?

I will look for the diaper sewing divas.

Thanks for all your help ladies!

They had 8 layers of t-shirt cotton, if I could do it again, I would have done a 4-layer of cotton/microfleece stay dry top on a size small soaker from the same pattern, and just laid it in as a stay-dry booster, attaching it would mean too long drying. This is what I plan on doing for my friend, and I'm sure the small will fit in the NB diaper, and then can be used for the exact function in the size small diapers. So in total, with t-shirts, I would want 8-12 layers, 8 minimum, 12 max - I really just cut up old shirts and put all the ugly ones on the interior layers

Yes, the fleece from JoAnn will be fine! Katrina's soaker pattern is free and easy (just google "Katrina's soaker pattern")

I got a lot of help in the craft chat forum here :goodvibes: