Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   wwyd buying from friends? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451355)

ggill 10-07-2012 11:59 AM

wwyd buying from friends?

Ok DH is in love....with a pop up camper! He wants it bad. It belongs to friends of ours and they are only asking what they will get for a trade in value and they are going to throw in a bike rack :goodvibes: We spent the night in it friday night, in my parents back yard :giggle:. I admit I really liked it, it was so much easier to get the boys to bed and so much more comfortable than our tent! Our friends want $1600 for it. We dont have an extra $1600 right now and I told DH I didnt want to finance it. Then the friends said we could make payments to them, what ever we could afford and no problem if we have a tight month. They are older and I guess dont need the $ from their current camper to buy their new camper.

WWYD, make payments to your friends?
Walk away?
Finance?

What I am hoping is they will wait till spring and with our tax refund/save up we can buy it out right. I am just curious what others would do. DH is all for making payments but I just dont like how it feels to owe someone.

CarrieMF 10-07-2012 12:05 PM

Re: wwyd buying from friends?

If you have the extra money to make $50-$100/month payments I'd do that & then pay off the rest in the spring with your taxes.

If the extra $50-$100/month is too tight then I'd hold off.

Mama*Kim 10-07-2012 12:07 PM

Only with a written contract, personally.

Rhianna'sMommy 10-07-2012 12:08 PM

Could you give them a deposit to hold it for you until spring and then by it in te spring with tax money?

sisu 10-07-2012 12:13 PM

I'd commit to making payments on it, I think, if you both really love it. Doesn't hurt to ask if they'll hold it until next spring, though.

umphreysmommy 10-07-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy
Could you give them a deposit to hold it for you until spring and then by it in te spring with tax money?

This. You probably won't be camping until next spring but only do it if you will truly but from them. Don't flake when you get your tax money and use it elsewhere.

ggill 10-07-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks ladies! I am thinking I will have DH tell them we would love to get it but financially we cant purchase until the spring and if they need rid of it before then we understand. I am pretty sure they will have no problems and that give us until Marchish to come up with the full 1600$ which should be doable.

So now I need to know, anyone have a pop up and do you like it? :goodvibes:

I thought it was pretty cool but only used it one night. DH spent 3 nights in it, along with set up and tear down and he is sold.

FerventlyDreaming 10-07-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggill (Post 15782183)
Thanks ladies! I am thinking I will have DH tell them we would love to get it but financially we cant purchase until the spring and if they need rid of it before then we understand. I am pretty sure they will have no problems and that give us until Marchish to come up with the full 1600$ which should be doable.

So now I need to know, anyone have a pop up and do you like it? :goodvibes:

I thought it was pretty cool but only used it one night. DH spent 3 nights in it, along with set up and tear down and he is sold.

DH and i Strongly considered it over the summer. The brake it for me was the fact that they mold. The canvas has to be completely dry to keep it from molding. (Hard to do) Its not really a huge deal for most people but trying to keep that clean would drive me crazy. I wouldn't be able to deal with the look of it being moldy even if its just stains after being washed up. The other thing that discouraged us was dealing with the bathroom hookup (If you are used to using a tent I would say NO PROBLEM just don't use it). Its just kinda gross IMO. Not like gross I can't believe people do this, just gross I dont want to :giggle:

My parents have a 5th wheel camper. Its very nice and we considered doing the pop up thing to join them but we decided against it for the above reasons. At present we still camp with them so it just wasn't worth the extra effort to have our own space.

ggill 10-07-2012 06:54 PM

I will have to check this one for mold now...hmm. It is 8 years old. This one doesnt have a bathroom hook up and I am use to that!

soonerfan 10-07-2012 07:55 PM

We had a pop up for my entire childhood, and it never molded or mildewed. The key is that if it rains while you are camping, you need to set it up once home to fully dry. I am almost positive my dad also used a mild bleach solution to rinse it after it rained on a camping trip (once home--bleach, rinse, fully dry).

I loved camping in it, and we often had our family (4 of us), plus two friends. It was nice that it felt like camping with the canvas walls that were more tent-like, but not like sleeping on the ground in a tent. We did miss the bathroom, but most campgrounds have nice washrooms.