Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New alvas leaking (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451383)

MomandE 10-07-2012 12:51 PM

So I switched over from prefolds and megaroos and covers to Alvas for my wiggly 20 month old. I don't know if he's peeing more or what but I'm having leaks left and right. Perhaps they don't hold as much as I thought. I'm changing him every 1 1:2 to 2 hrs. But if we go beyond that he leaks. I guess I'm used to prefolds and covers which never leaked for me... I'm frustrated and I even ordered more before this started happening , now I wish I hadn't ..

They are easy .... If they work. They are all brand new and prepped. My mil who uses the few bum genius pockets never has leaks with those except this week with everything leaking.

I'm adding some extra soakers into each one when I stuff it for this next round but we had another leak with that too.

He is drinking more, I just didn't think it was THAT much

CaraJ 10-07-2012 05:37 PM

Re: New alvas leaking

I know some of my friends that have sons say that ALVAs leak for them as well. They attribute it to the quality of their inserts. However, we haven't had a problem with our daughter (she's 10 months). He's probably just wetting more than usual.

jfkmama 10-07-2012 08:25 PM

You can trifold the prefolds & stuff the Alva's with them. It's a little bulky but nice and absorbant.

daniele_ut 10-07-2012 09:24 PM

I only have 1 Alva now, but I stuff it with a prefold when I use it. I had a bunch of the Alva 4.0s and they didn't fit DS well at all and I sold them all. They are ok quality for the price, but I just decided that I wanted to stick with what I *knew* worked for us (BG 4.0, Freetimes and Flips).

MommaMal 10-07-2012 10:24 PM

I had to double stuff my Alvas and I dried them on hot once every couple of months or so. I know some mamas say that sealing PUL is a myth but it definitely seemed to be necessary with the Alvas. Good luck!

sweetest 10-08-2012 09:17 AM

Are you using the MF inserts that come with the Alvas? If so, I would try stuffing them with something else... flats or prefolds. It seems like people love the Alva pocket diaper but not the insert...

MegBee 10-09-2012 09:22 AM

I liked the fit of alvas but they always leaked. No matter what was inside them. I attribute it to the outer cover. Just didn't work for us.

MomandE 10-09-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks for your replies ladies! I've decided to stuff them with prefolds and see how they do. I'm hoping this will work. I have flats I can try too but I know prefolds hold a lot. I'm love the ease of just snapping on a diaper rather then pinning prefold then putting a cover on, on a wiggly monster toddler.

I'll report back once I see how things are working.

Oh and I did add an insert to each one this last time and I had one leak , they were all soaked through when I took the inserts out after. I just need something that holds more I think.

lashon20 10-09-2012 11:50 AM

Their inserts are crap and don't hold much. I either use a prefold or use their insert with a hemp doubler.

Catbutt Diapers 10-09-2012 12:52 PM

it sounds like you need some hemp doublers with what ever you use. Cotton Babies currently has some seconds hemp flats for cheap, cut them in half and call them a doubler