Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   mommas that did ferber method sucessfully (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451385)

Beccadssmomma 10-07-2012 01:53 PM

mommas that did ferber method sucessfully

:goodvibes:Disclaimer: I'm not looking to start a debate, I'd like some advice from mommas that did used the ferber method for sleep training. Please don't attack me or the mommas that post here if you disagree with this because you don't know us personally and we are all doing what we believe is best for our family. :thumbsup:

Ok so we did the ferber method w/ DS when he was 8m and it worked pretty well. He is now 2 and a half. Now DD is 7m, almost 8 and I need her to be sleeping through the night. I don't want to get in to reasons, but here is the thing. DD and DS share a room...so what do we do? Put DD in the packnplay in our bedroom? but then we'll be sleeping in the room w/ her. I think DS will be able to sleep through some of it but...I guess I'm just looking for "this is what we did" stories from families w/ multiple kids and you did the ferber method w/ more than one...
thanks!!

KelseyH 10-07-2012 02:12 PM

I want to know, too! I've been wondering how that works since ours will be sharing a room starting in April.

keen1981 10-07-2012 02:34 PM

Well, I think it depends on how long you let them scream and cry. I would start with the baby, then Put your other child down. that's what we did, however, we don't do ferberizing.

pumkinsmommy 10-07-2012 05:25 PM

Re: mommas that did ferber method sucessfully

My sister did this many years ago with my niece. Her ped. explained to her how to do it. The first night she waited 5 minutes and only had to go in one more time. The second night she went in once and that was it. The ferber method is very specific. There are no long periods of unattended crying.

loni1090 10-07-2012 05:55 PM

My 1st DS, I did it and he did well. He is 9 years old. I would come back after 5 minutes of crying, then lengthen each time I go back to him. He is 9 years old and is fine. My 2nd DS, my aunt lived with us, so she would not let him CIO. And he is 7 now, and fine too. My 3rd DS, he started wanting to sleep on his own. So I did not have to let him CIO. He actually self sothes himself. So basically you have to play it by ear with each child, since each baby is different. I also co sleep with the babies until about 6 months, except for naps. I understand about the issues since you are sharing a room. My 4th DS has his crib in our room too. I am thinking of having a curtain up between us, so he doesnt see us. Plus I always have a white noise in the room. (My 3rd DS slept through the fireworks outside his room because of the white noise.) That way I can let DS #4 try to sleep on his own.

keen1981 10-07-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
My sister did this many years ago with my niece. Her ped. explained to her how to do it. The first night she waited 5 minutes and only had to go in one more time. The second night she went in once and that was it. The ferber method is very specific. There are no long periods of unattended crying.

Really? I just read a specific out line to the 'method' and it builds up to crying for 30 minutes. What's long to you? I think 10 minutes plus is kinda long. Anything my neighbors might complain about is long, lol!!!

ktwamomma 10-07-2012 06:34 PM

I put ds2 down about 30min before ds1. That way ds2 was ALL. The. Way. asleep before ds1 got in there. Really ds2 only had to CIO for 1-2 nights so it's not like it was a big big deal. It was actually more ds1 keeping ds2 awake by talking than ds2 keeping ds1 awake by crying! Anyway this also gave me some much needed one-on-one time with ds1 to play, bathe, read and cuddle before lights out.

pumkinsmommy 10-07-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15782256)
Really? I just read a specific out line to the 'method' and it builds up to crying for 30 minutes. What's long to you? I think 10 minutes plus is kinda long. Anything my neighbors might complain about is long, lol!!!

1 minute is an eternal hell for me, I never did the method. Most babies never get beyond the 2nd night before they are going to bed without an issue. Sleeping without all the baloney that I see people going through is a gift. So many people think that their baby is just going to nicely learn to fall asleep and if they don't then that is the way it is supposed to be. Teaching a baby to go to sleep is just another part of parenting. The Ferber method uses an exact technique that if parents follow, will allow their baby to very easy to go to sleep. Everyone will do better when well rested. This method is not for young infants, I think under 6 months of age. My sister did it when my niece was about 10 months old.

my2sweets 10-07-2012 07:16 PM

I would move ds into the bedroom with you and dh if possible. That way baby is in her bed, in her room, with her things, and that should help her focus on learning to calm herself. Gl mama

GEMQEMCABOOSE 10-07-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy (Post 15782437)
Sleeping without all the baloney that I see people going through is a gift. So many people think that their baby is just going to nicely learn to fall asleep and if they don't then that is the way it is supposed to be. Teaching a baby to go to sleep is just another part of parenting.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbsup: We don't Ferber as we sleep train our infants and newborns so there is no relearning at a later age. We, meaning parents and babies and children, are incredibly blessed by it here. I will say we sleep train at naptime not bedtime. Maybe that would work with guys who share a room. Put one in a pack and play in your room for naptime and work on learning to fall asleep on their own happily during the day when you are both fresher and less likely to disturb anyone. GL!