Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Please tell me about your crock pot! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451445)

Deanie 10-07-2012 03:47 PM

Please tell me about your crock pot!

I'm really getting into freezing meals that I can dump into the crockpot, but I kind of hate my crockpot.

The problem is, it cooks stuff so fast! I have it on low setting and it will have something done in 2 hours that should cook for at least 4 hours. Doesn't this affect the quality of the cooking? I mean, isn't the whole point to cook it on low for a long time?

Anyhoo, does anyone else have this problem? If you like your crockpot, what kind do you have and how much did it cost?

abunchoflemons 10-07-2012 04:35 PM

Re: Please tell me about your crock pot!

I think 7 or so fr9om JCP here and love. I don't remember cost. oval I think Rival. we have bought off brand like from Aldis for stuff and they are better than more expensive stuff.

tesslouise 10-07-2012 08:56 PM

I've got two Crockpot brand slow cookers, a 4 qt. round from Walmart and a 6 qt. round from Big Lots, about $20 each. They might run a little hot but nowhere near as crazy as my former boss's (I was a nanny). She had one of those fancy programmable ones and it boiled the food on low. It was gross. :p

ecotwinmom 10-08-2012 02:01 PM

I have a Rival Smart Pot, oval. It's pretty old but still works great. My smaller round one gets way too hot.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-09-2012 06:05 AM

I love my rival. I use it 2-4 x a week for the 6 yrs. I recently tried my mil hamilton beach one and it took 2x the amount of time to cook. My rival takes around the suggested amount of recipe time to cook.

expaik 10-09-2012 06:32 AM

Let me guess... you have the stainless steel type?

Those get way too hot. If you want genuine crockpot cooking (i.e. SLOW cooking), you need to get your hands on the older ceramic style. Look on craigslist - here people are selling the vintage Rival crockpots for around $5. They think that because these are from the 70s and 80s, they're worth nothing!

Lauren1041 10-12-2012 09:45 AM

I have a white rival stoneware crock pot. I have the same issues you describe. Everything takes much less time than it's supposed to to cook. Things get pretty toasty on the bottom and on top if I'm not careful. I can't really stick it in and forget about it. I always thought I just needed a smaller one. Like I"m not putting enough food in there, so it gets overheated. Who knows!

mel j 10-12-2012 12:39 PM

I got mine from freecycle and I like the round Rival one more. My daughter actually accidentally knocked it off the counter and it broke, so I looked for another one. I don't really always follow the instructions for cooking time though, I just keep an eye on it. I've mostly done grains (brown rice, oatmeal, barley) in it, but also chicken pot pie. I have another cheaper brand, newer style, not sure what brand... but it's worked well for baked potatoes and sweet potatoes. I don't like it for other things though.

slyfoxy 10-12-2012 01:17 PM

I purchased my crock pot from wal-mart a few years ago an love it back then it was 80 bucks but now can get them for 20. It slow cooks like should so far Knock on wood.. Name is Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker.

Got fresh souppers in there right now ready for supper. :thumbsup:

jkdustin 10-17-2012 10:04 AM

rival is great.