Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brrr! (aka getting used to living in a house, not an apartment) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451449)

Harmony96 10-07-2012 03:56 PM

Brrr! (aka getting used to living in a house, not an apartment)

So we all live in a house now, having finally moved out of our apartment this past summer. Last night, it got down to about 72 in the house, which apparently chilled DH to the bone. :laugh: So he turned on the heater. I went out for the evening and spent too much at a Pampered Chef show. :giggle: When I got home, he said that the heater had "clicked" but not turned on, so I thought maybe the pilot light needed lit. Our unit is in the hallway behind a door (I know some houses might have it in the attic or whatever), so I opened the door to look at it. I even found the old installation manual tucked away, and I saw how it said to adjust the pilot, but not exactly where it is in the unit or how to open the unit. Then I put the manual away and tried to open the unit itself, but the door wouldn't budge. We gave up and just piled on extra blankets to sleep with.

The homeowner/our landlord goes to church with us, so we mentioned it to him and he said he'd come light the pilot for us tonight, and that "it's old, and there are several tricks to getting to it." :laugh:

Right now, it's about 65 in here. Brr. :laugh: (Ironically, even if we turn the heat on tonight, we might be turning it off for the rest of the week since the temperature is supposed to climb back up again, lol.)

KaleidoscopeEyes 10-07-2012 03:58 PM

Re: Brrr! (aka getting used to living in a house, not an apartment)

i think the house was 55 this morn lol this cold snap caught us by surprise. it's going to be in the mid 70's next week though :thumbsup::thumbsup

Dmpmercury 10-07-2012 04:01 PM

I have to turn the heat on much earlier living in a house. When I lived in my condo all the units around us kept our condo warm without even needing to turn on the heat except for the very coldest days in the middle of winter. I keep it on low but I used to not have to put it on at all this time of year. 72 degrees is actually really warm to me. We would all be stripping.

babycat42 10-07-2012 04:03 PM

You can look up youtube videos on lighting pilot lights.
I remember that I had to tape a match on a bend up coat hanger to be able to get the flame where it needed to be

mmmom 10-07-2012 04:06 PM

:giggle: our day time highs are 17(about 62) and over night lows are just a few degrees(in the 30's) and I refuse to turn the heat on. Even when it is -30 outside it is only set to 21(70F) and we are fine. We wear slippers, sweater and there are blankets on the couches

missemily 10-07-2012 04:07 PM

We are holding off with the heat so I don't have to fear the gas bill next month. Oh and put the stroller in front of the heater away. But it is chilly here.

my2sweets 10-07-2012 04:09 PM

Lol It only got to 58 today so the house has stayed b/t 60-62. Dh wantes to turn the heater on but I told him he could tough it out for a day lol Its suppose to be high 70s tomorrow and high 80s the rest of the wk.

typed while in sweats, long sleeves, socks and wrapped in a blanket. It has been discovered this tx gal doesnt really care for cold octobers lol

chandni3 10-07-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmom (Post 15782084)
:giggle: our day time highs are 17(about 62) and over night lows are just a few degrees(in the 30's) and I refuse to turn the heat on.

We did that last year and got mold growing in our bathroom from the condensation. This year our furnace has been on since Sept, it got cold early here. But our house is set to 72 and drops at night (programmable thermostat). If it's warm outside the furnace doesn't turn on so I'm not too worried about warm days popping up.

Holly dolly 10-07-2012 04:11 PM

I've had my sun heater going for a few weeks already. ;) and last night we lit a fire. I don't do we'll with the cold. :giggle:

somo_chickenlady 10-07-2012 04:12 PM

I hope you get it figured out! :)

We don't turn the heat on until it gets consistently into the upper 50's, and we keep it set at 68. Before that we just do lots of blankets and extra layers of clothing. DH would kill me if I turned it on at 72. At that point, we still have the windows open!!