Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The reason behind no sandwich meat. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451461)

leyash 10-07-2012 04:58 PM

The reason behind no sandwich meat.

Okay... so, I have some sandwich meat in the fridge. I had totally intended on eating a regular PB&J for dinner tonight, but that deli sandwich (homemade) is looking SO good right now. Ham, turkey, cucumbers, onions, mustard, cheese, pickles... gah.

I do NOT want to warm the meat up... gross. So, is it really going to be a major pregnancy sin (or kill me, haha) if I eat this sandwich?

4boys1girlforme 10-07-2012 04:59 PM

Re: The reason behind no sandwich meat.

I ate some lunch meat.
The risk is listeriosis and if you heat that lunch meat and then put it back in the fridge and cool it off you could eat it.

"The main means of prevention is through the promotion of safe handling, cooking and consumption of food. This includes washing raw vegetables and cooking raw food thoroughly, as well as reheating leftover or ready-to-eat foods like hot dogs until steaming hot.
Another aspect of prevention is advising high-risk groups such as pregnant women and immunocompromised patients to avoid unpasteurized pÔtÚs and foods such as soft cheeses like feta, Brie, Camembert cheese, and bleu. Cream cheeses, yogurt, and cottage cheese are considered safe. In the United Kingdom, advice along these lines from the Chief Medical Officer posted in maternity clinics led to a sharp decline in cases of listeriosis in pregnancy in the late 1980s."

leyash 10-07-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme (Post 15782257)
I ate some lunch meat.
The risk is listeriosis and if you heat that lunch meat and then put it back in the fridge and cool it off you could eat it.

How long do I have to heat it?

keen1981 10-07-2012 05:03 PM

Until it steams

leyash 10-07-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15782271)
Until it steams

This is totally turning me off to wanting this sandwich, lol.
Maybe I'll just go make my cream cheese puffs.

4boys1girlforme 10-07-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15782277)
This is totally turning me off to wanting this sandwich, lol.
Maybe I'll just go make my cream cheese puffs.

You can cool the meat then and put the sandwich back together.

keen1981 10-07-2012 05:07 PM

Or make a toasted sandwich. I cook the meat then toast it on the bread. Yummy

4boys1girlforme 10-07-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15782287)

Exactly! Grilled ham and swiss! Yummmm!

leyash 10-07-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15782287)

I would do that, but I don't want hot cucumbers/lettuce/pickles/avocado. :( The veggies are SO much better cold. Even putting them on AFTER the sandwich is toasted just ruins the whole sandwich for me.

keen1981 10-07-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash

I would do that, but I don't want hot cucumbers/lettuce/pickles/avocado. :( The veggies are SO much better cold. Even putting them on AFTER the sandwich is toasted just ruins the whole sandwich for me.

I was gonna say, you put them on AFTER lol.