Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How long to take off? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451501)

camo_diapers 10-07-2012 07:16 PM

How long to take off?

I just had my baby Friday night and was wondering what is a good amount of time to take off from the older kids school work. Older being 6 and 4. DH is home for a while, so I'm trying to figure out if we should try some school work on Monday or is it just a bad idea?

HeatherlovesCDs 10-07-2012 07:26 PM

Re: How long to take off?

Congratulations! I'm due any day now. I'm planning to take off about a month, but I'm also planning to play it by ear. If the new baby transition goes smoothly, we'll probably start back up much sooner. I'm also assuming that it will probably be a hit or miss thing for several weeks or even a few months. Some days we may do school because everyone, including baby, is cooperating and some days not. My only formal schooler is almost 7 and I have twins who are 4 and twins who are 2.

I think you can play it by ear and see what you feel comfortable with. I don't think there is any reason not to school Monday if you feel up to it. It's your homeschool. So, handle it however you feel most comfortable. :)

my2sweets 10-07-2012 07:37 PM

Im due in dec and plan on taking 6wks off once ds is here. However Im going to play it by ear too...if I need to take a wk or 2off before he's here(I may not feel like climbing steep old farm house steps 38wks pregnant ya know lol) so be it or if baby is easy like dd2 was then maybe Ill only take a couple wks off. We'll see :goodvibes: and congrats on your new bundle!

Jen's_4 10-08-2012 08:54 AM

I think it might be nice to have a few days for the kids to adjust to the new baby. I would probably take at least a few days off. That said, some kids do better with routine, so maybe that wouldn't work for you guys. But it would seem like a lot to me, with the new babe and everything to do school only a couple days after that.

Congrats on the newbie!!!

tallanvor 10-09-2012 07:47 AM

Really depends on the kids and the family dynamic. Some families need longer than others. When my youngest was born, I don't think we took off more than 3 weeks, and we would've been ready before then, but my MIL and then my parents came to visit and help with the new baby (though we ended up not needing help -- we just visited).

FTingmama 10-13-2012 07:58 AM

Do what you feel comfortable with. We can have a crazy home life sometimes since we travel for DH's job so we do school year round even on weekends since we are off any day dh has off work and for a week or so with each move. We just do as much school as they feel like and then I'll add in more if they haven't done much that week.

AZmommy 10-13-2012 10:30 AM

at their age I'd take off as long as your need, Whats age does your state require a chil to be schooled? Here it is 7 so at 4/6 I' jsut take out the time I needed concentrate on establishing nursing and family time. For me about 3 weeks at least.