Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ACK! Anyone else have a washing machine try to 'eat' your diapers?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451550)

clarinetb 10-07-2012 10:22 PM

ACK! Anyone else have a washing machine try to 'eat' your diapers??

Gah, this washing machine has had things get caught under the agitator, particular hemp inserts seem to be a favourite! The landlord says that her appliance guy says t is fine (he didn't look at it) and that small things will get caught, so put small things in a mesh bag... I have a baby, cloth diaper and well, wear underwear, so not everything is going in a mesh bag ;)

Anyway, it hasn't done it for awhile, but the last month a whole pile of diapers/inserts now have holes :( Nothing brand new or expensive, but I'm getting very upset! A couple were definitely older hemp inserts for a particular diaper, so while it shouldn't have ripped a bunch of holes the first time it showed a hole, I was at least not freaking out. I just went down now and one of the night doublers that is hemp and fleece on top is wrecked :(

So, has anyone else had this issue? I haven't had any other washing machine I've used for diaper laundry do this! I'm thinking it is the machine, but I'm curious if others have had issues too and I've just been lucky before :(

armywife21 10-07-2012 11:12 PM

Re: ACK! Anyone else have a washing machine try to 'eat' your diapers??

Oh gosh I have never had an issue with our washer our dryer on the other hand used to try and eat our diapers. I would insist that they look at it although I wonder if they need to seeing its a "luxury" they provide and legally don't have to provide a washing machine?

clarinetb 10-07-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armywife21 (Post 15783487)
Oh gosh I have never had an issue with our washer our dryer on the other hand used to try and eat our diapers. I would insist that they look at it although I wonder if they need to seeing its a "luxury" they provide and legally don't have to provide a washing machine?

Yeah, thought it a bit odd :banghead:
I rarely use the dyer for anything, good thing, cause this dryer isn't very good at, well, drying :P

Legally they have to keep a functional washing machine in here since they rented it to us with a washing machine. So that's one good thing at least ;) Off to bug her again! :P

ohgirlohboyohno 10-08-2012 06:13 AM

My dryer eats stuff....not my washer....can you tell where they are getting stuck? Oh wait - I see you said under the agitator....I would recommend she have an appliance guy really look at it cause I have heard of baby socks getting stuck under those things and cause HUGE problems later on. HAve you been missing baby socks?

TeachinAuntie 10-08-2012 06:36 AM

My dryer does it. :/

Dh just serviced our dryer (its 6 years old and has never had ANYTHING done to it) and it needed lots of parts replaced...one of which was causing the diaper eating problem. :)

clarinetb 10-08-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno (Post 15783830)
My dryer eats stuff....not my washer....can you tell where they are getting stuck? Oh wait - I see you said under the agitator....I would recommend she have an appliance guy really look at it cause I have heard of baby socks getting stuck under those things and cause HUGE problems later on. HAve you been missing baby socks?

Hmm, don't think we've lost any baby socks (if we did, it was a pair :P )

That's interesting that dyers like to eat diapers more often :P

alaskamum 10-08-2012 09:56 AM

My old top loader was pretty rough on things. It tore holes in new Bummis covers, flips, Thirsties hemp prefolds...I tried a mesh bag but the mesh bag got ripped too.

:(

clarinetb 10-08-2012 09:57 AM

That's terrible!! :(

armywife21 10-08-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskamum (Post 15784670)
My old top loader was pretty rough on things. It tore holes in new Bummis covers, flips, Thirsties hemp prefolds...I tried a mesh bag but the mesh bag got ripped too.

:(

Ooh could you say you tried the mesh bag and it got ripped too and someone needs to look at it now! I would be scared to wash my DIAPERS in a mesh bag for fear of them not getting clean. :yuck: