Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   need to get 4mth old on a sleep schedule. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451573)

Djrose 10-08-2012 12:07 AM

need to get 4mth old on a sleep schedule.

Dd is 4mths old and I can not get her to go to bed for the night til 12-1am. She really has no rhyme or reason to her naps either. with ds I just followed his lead and we were in a decent schedule by 3 mths with 6-7 hrs at night and 4naps during the day. I dont expect her to sleep through the nighf (though wouldnt that be wonderful!!!) But from 5pm til 8pm she will either slightly doze take quick cat naps then at 8-8: she is wide eyed and bushy tail! Finally get her to sleep around midnight 1am and sometimes its as late as 2 then she is up sometimes at 4 dh alarm starts going off at 5:30 and he would sleep through anything so I finally,get him awake and up by 6-6:30 sometimes she wakes after he leaves. Then my son is awake by 8. Id love it if I could get her to bed at least by 10. I dont know what to do though. We have a bed time routine but for some reason it signals party time instead of sleepy time. I tried working with the whole dozing at 5-6 time and puting her to "bed" then but she woke at 8 and was up til2:30 (with quick cat nap/nursing sessions). Any ideas? I'm running on empty and I feel like I'm making my son who is 2 miss out on stuff cause I'm just so exhausted I don't have the energy to do what I would like. I thought we were headed in the right direction as dd was sleeping 7 hrs. (11-6). at night starting at 2mth and a week later it all went crazy. Nothing changed. :headscratch: I'm really at a loss atm... but maybe just overly sleep deprived. Lol

BeccaSueCongdon 10-08-2012 12:15 AM

Have you read "The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Solution"? It has lots of helpful info about sleep cycles and developmental milestones and their effect on sleep and how to cope. It's a quick read too and usually cheap on amazon.

4 months is a standard "sleep regression" time, and that book can help you identify how to best help your baby. It doesn't push any one approach so it's nice in that regard. Just sleep science and some problem solving tasks.

Ally's Fuzzies 10-08-2012 08:38 AM

Re: need to get 4mth old on a sleep schedule.

I had really good luck with the 90-minute sleep solution as well, although I didn't try it until about seven months. Good luck!

LKB 10-08-2012 09:17 AM

I've been busy reading Ferber's and Weissbluth's books on baby sleep (which is not to say that I'm suggesting the idea of CIO at all). I wonder if that last nap is too late? Or it's time to transition to 3 naps instead of 4? If I recall correctly, I believe both authors suggest not letting the last nap go too late (after 4-5pm) to "protect bedtime".

A HUGE resource that I've found on baby sleep: troublesometots.com. Alexis (the woman who runs the blog) is incredible.

AniMommy 10-08-2012 01:37 PM

4 months is a hard time. I feel your pain.

I think it's too young to start serious sleep training routines. But at that age I started putting LO down and letting her fuss for a few minutes (like 2) to see if she could self soothe and go to sleep on her own. I did it only in the day time and I think it did work to train her to settle herself.

I seem to remember at 4 months, the LO was waking up at about 10 pm for night time hijinks as well.

Are you swaddling? It really helped my LO get back to sleep after eating.

BeccaSueCongdon 10-08-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AniMommy
4 months is a hard time. I feel your pain.

I think it's too young to start serious sleep training routines. But at that age I started putting LO down and letting her fuss for a few minutes (like 2) to see if she could self soothe and go to sleep on her own. I did it only in the day time and I think it did work to train her to settle herself.

I seem to remember at 4 months, the LO was waking up at about 10 pm for night time hijinks as well.

Are you swaddling? It really helped my LO get back to sleep after eating.

Weissbluth and Ferber both agree with the age thing, as I remember. 4 is at the young starting range depending on baby's temperament. The brain chemistry necessary for regulating alertness/sleep cycles matures between 4-6 months, and before that babies are dependent on caretakers to set the rhythm and do the soothing.

ecomama90 10-09-2012 03:18 AM

My daughter is 6 months and she's always been a great sleeper but she did fall asleep early and wake up at 3-4am. I just started a routine with her. She's usually up between 6:30 and 7am and she eats and we play for a couple hours and then she's ready to go down at 10 until about noon. At noon she gets up and eats lunch and plays and then around 3-3:30pm she naps until about 5 or 5:30pm. She wakes, eats dinner and plays and at 7:30ish I start her night time routine. We start to turn off lights, or dim them. She gets a warm bath, a bottle and a story and then between 8:30 and 9 we put her to sleep and she sleeps till the morning. We are VERY lucky, she's STTN since birth but she did have a few periods where I think she must have been going through a growth spurt or just changing and she would just wouldn't sleep. It just took persistence. I didn't pick her up I just stood by the crib and rubbed her back or her belly just to show her that I was there and she would drift back. I found when I picked her up she would get more alert. I never had to swaddle but a few of my friends did and it worked SO well for them. Good luck momma!