Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dairy-free Thanksgiving recipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451614)

aimeeturd 10-08-2012 07:53 AM

Dairy-free Thanksgiving recipes?

I am currently breastfeeding and DS has a milk protein allergy so I am dairy-free. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I really want to be able to enjoy it and eat something yummy. Anyone have any good recipes?

jbug_4 10-08-2012 09:49 AM

Re: Dairy-free Thanksgiving recipes?

Pumpkin pie

11 oz plain flavored sub milk (we use soy, you could probably use coconut or almond. I would stay away from thinner ones like rice)
2 large eggs plus 1 egg white
3/4 cup sugar
1 teas cornstarch
1/2 teas salt
1 teas cinnamon
1/4-1/2 teas ginger
1/4 teas clove
pie crust
You could use whatever the pumpkin pie spice bottle says for one pie instead of the spices.

Mix wet ingreds in food processor. Mix dry ingreds in bowl then place in process and process until smooth. Pour into crust and bake at 425 for 15 mins then turn down to 350 and bake 40-50 mins or until knife inserted inches from the center comes out clean. Cool. store in fridge.

We love this pie, pumpkin is my absolute favorite pie and it tastes just like a traditional pie. No one eve knows its milk free.

We don't do green bean casserole (I think its gross) but there are plenty of make your own cream soup recipes that you can use sub milk to make in order to make green bean casserole if you want. I prefer fresh (or frozen) whole green beans lightly steamed. Saute sliced onion in skillet, in olive oil. Once onions are soft add the beans and dried cranberries, salt and pepper. My favorite green bean recipe.

jbug_4 10-08-2012 09:56 AM

oh another favorite- lite sweet potato casserole. mashed sweet potatoes- mix a little bit of liquid (sub milk, apple juice, orange juice- orange juice will flavor it a lot so go easy) to get them smooth. Place in greased pan. Slice 3 or 4 bananas and layer on top of sweet potatoes- make it as pretty or plain as you like. cover with a layer of brown sugar- think the recipe calls for about 1/4 cup but you could use more or less- the bananas make it pretty sweet. Then sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 until kind of bubbly. I don't have the recipe in front of me so I don't know how long, but I want to say its about 25 mins. The bananas will looked cooked and the sugar will be bubbly. You don't need to but you can add a couple of dots of sub butter- we use earth's balance on top of the sugar.

Lauren1041 10-11-2012 09:14 AM

You can substitute earth balance for butter for basics like mashed potatoes. I also add some vegetable stock (could do chicken if you're not a vegetarian). I've made a vegan corn casserole that was really yummy substituting with earth balance and tofuti sour cream. I ordered a vegan pumpkin pie from whole foods and it was delicious. I really wanted a tasty pie and didn't want to count on my own skills!

I made this baked pumpkin pasta dish too, which is vegan and it turned out really good: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=433410

Lauren1041 10-11-2012 09:17 AM

If you're eating turkey, be sure they don't put butter on the outside. do earth balance or olive oil instead. You can maybe just have a small turkey breast for you if the main turkey just has to have the real thing.

krispy79 10-11-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren1041
If you're eating turkey, be sure they don't put butter on the outside. do earth balance or olive oil instead. You can maybe just have a small turkey breast for you if the main turkey just has to have the real thing.

Smart Balance Light is also dairy-free (I find it to be more widely available and tasty).