Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   tell me your pro's and cons! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451620)

brayden2020 10-08-2012 09:11 AM

tell me your pro's and cons!

I'm debating on getting my seven month old a flu shot. Dr of course is pushing it. She is EBF.

Please tell me the pros and cons

Kiliki 10-08-2012 09:56 AM

Re: tell me your pro's and cons!

we don't do the flu vax for a number of reasons. But mostly b/c I think it is pointless unless a person has a compromised or abnormally weak immune system, and is not generally healthy.

It's true the flu is awful. It's really no fun. It dehydrates you and makes you WISH you were dead if it doesn't kill you. (sorry, that was a bit dramatic. LOL) But for the *majority* of people who catch it, it's a week or so (maybe 2 wks) of feeling terrible and then it's gone and you move on with life.

The difference is, your immune system will be stronger b/c it had to fight it.

Also, you should know that the immunity offered by a vaccine is different from the immunity you receive from naturally contracting illnesses. You may want to research that for yourself.

And, the flu vaccine is usually made from last year's flu strains. So, the effectiveness is really not known. They are just guessing at which ones will be more prevalent this year. And, obviously, since it's only made from those strains, if the virus has mutated (and all viruses mutate over time and as they are passed from person to person), you can still catch it, even if you have been vaccinated.

abunchoflemons 10-08-2012 10:02 AM

If u get it & bfing. Her she will get stuff from u. My oldest. We stopped cuz in a week of getting it she got chills, vomits & all. I don't think coincidence. Since we stopped nothing like that. We have gotten pink wye but not symptoms lie b4. Or cold.....

Jen's_4 10-08-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki (Post 15784360)
we don't do the flu vax for a number of reasons. But mostly b/c I think it is pointless unless a person has a compromised or abnormally weak immune system, and is not generally healthy.

It's true the flu is awful. It's really no fun. It dehydrates you and makes you WISH you were dead if it doesn't kill you. (sorry, that was a bit dramatic. LOL) But for the *majority* of people who catch it, it's a week or so (maybe 2 wks) of feeling terrible and then it's gone and you move on with life.

The difference is, your immune system will be stronger b/c it had to fight it.

Also, you should know that the immunity offered by a vaccine is different from the immunity you receive from naturally contracting illnesses. You may want to research that for yourself.

And, the flu vaccine is usually made from last year's flu strains. So, the effectiveness is really not known. They are just guessing at which ones will be more prevalent this year. And, obviously, since it's only made from those strains, if the virus has mutated (and all viruses mutate over time and as they are passed from person to person), you can still catch it, even if you have been vaccinated.

All of this, plus there is not much long term research done on the flu vax. At all. It's scary.

abunchoflemons: I don't know if I'm the only one, but I have the hardest time reading your posts.

33andunder 10-08-2012 10:17 AM

A recent study has linked the flu shots to H1N1. It has me reconsidering, and I normally do get the shot.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/V...609/story.html

ecotwinmom 10-08-2012 10:42 AM

I don't see any pros. Here are a bunch of cons: http://search.mercola.com/search/Pag...x?k=flu%20shot

neurotoxins, increased risk of swine flu, not effective for children, etc

z2akids 10-08-2012 10:50 AM

Pros

Your baby is very young and influenza can be devastating to the young. Dehydration in an infant can happen very quickly and can be very serious, as can the respiratory issues associated with influenza (not the stomach flu).

brayden2020 10-08-2012 11:03 AM

She won't receive any immune against flu from me. I have never ever gotten the shot, nor have I ever had the flu. I was breast fed though:)

I stupidly let the Dr sway me into getting the first dose at get six month check up. I don't think I'll be getting the booster...or would I have to now that I gave her the first dose?

Kiliki 10-08-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brayden2020 (Post 15784714)
She won't receive any immune against flu from me. I have never ever gotten the shot, nor have I ever had the flu. I was breast fed though:)

I stupidly let the Dr sway me into getting the first dose at get six month check up. I don't think I'll be getting the booster...or would I have to now that I gave her the first dose?

I'm 99% sure you don't HAVE to do anything you aren't comfortable with when it comes to vaxes. If you don't want to get the booster, don't get it. She won't grow a third eye if you decline it...... although your doctor might, depending on their views. :giggle:

DottieHarley 10-08-2012 11:32 AM

The flu shot is totally voluntary (at least here it is... I don't THINK any states mandate it?). Our super-vax pedi pushes it but I just smile and say "I need to discuss with DH" and then we never make an appt for it."
DH and I have never had flu shots, even while pg. DD has not had flu shots (could have gotten last winter, and this year). While I have no issue with the regular regime of vaxing, this one just gets me. It seems pointless, the side effects are so common and I'm too lazy to deal with them lol, and we are all in very good health.
Now, if someone in my house had a compromised immune system, or other extenuating circumstance, that would be a different story.