Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How many gifts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451642)

chunky_monkey4221 10-08-2012 09:01 AM

How many gifts?

How many do you get for you own children for Christmas? Do you exchange with your spouse? How about extended family?

5PrincessMommy 10-08-2012 09:06 AM

I don't have a specific number but usually a specific amount. Usually $50 for babies and toddlers and $100 for big kids. I do exchange gifts with my spouse. Usually a $100 cap

kbz2002 10-08-2012 09:21 AM

Re: How many gifts?

I also don't have a specific number of presents; it's more about dollar amount and what fits in the budget. Although also if I find amazing deals I don't keep buying presents until I hit that dollar amount. It's more about the retail dollar amount.

I do exchange gifts with dh... depends on what is left over in the budget.

blackbirdmama*3 10-08-2012 09:31 AM

We usually don't do a limit on number of gifts just a dollar amount. This year though we are going to do the want/need/wear/read thing. I had the kids sit down and make a christmas list a couple of weeks ago and none of them really came up with much that they wanted so we decided that if they didn't know what to ask for we would get them 1 big want gift and then the other 3 will be smaller. Dh and I don't surprise each other with gifts but we do shop together for whatever it is we want.

lensesforeyes 10-08-2012 10:42 AM

My kids are all about "fair", and only my oldest has a good concept of dollar value, so while we don't give the same number of gifts each year, we do make sure the kids that are aware of things have the same number of gifts as the others. This year we are doing two small toys, a game, a book, and something they can use with us.

DH and I don't really exchange gifts. I'll probably get him some new undershirts since he really needs them, though.

jbug_4 10-08-2012 11:00 AM

We do a dollar amount as well for kids and us. I don't have any living family so we only have dh's side for extended. We buy mil, fil and dh's grandmother presents. We don't have a set amount we spend on them, we just look for the right gift. Their limit is $50 so we try not to go over that- they usually tell us what they want around $50. I will never get use to that- my family everything was a surprise, dh's family everybody tells everybody else what to get. For bil and family we just exchange an ornament. We agreed much easier and cheaper on everyone- for us they are the only siblings and nieces but for them sil has 2 brothers (one of whom has 4 kids) so it gets too expensive for them. So for fairness they said no presents for any siblings and their children. The ornament exchange is nice, but sooner or later we are going to run out of tree room.

misskira 10-08-2012 11:15 AM

This year we are going with 4:
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear (or share, haven't decided yet)
Something to read

Plus stockings and one Santa gift. And Christmas eve Pjs that I will sew.

At 1 and 4, I feel like this is the year that will set a precedent for the kids. I have a tendency to go overboard and this will be a good way to limit myself too.

Dh and I exchange depending on our budget, or we will pick something together.

MamaJules 10-08-2012 11:20 AM

My boys are 2 and 4. So far, we have done just one or two small things for them from us -- they get tons of presents from grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins. At this point, they don't understand who the presents are from. At some point when they realize more, we may start buying more. We'll see. DH and I do exchange gifts, usually we do about a $50 limit.

L J 10-08-2012 11:31 AM

This year each child is getting one gift from Santa ($45) plus stocking stuffers.

Then from us they are each getting one toy, one book, and one pair of pajamas.

My parents bought them two things each (a bilibo and a bean bag each).

We exchange gifts with my parents, but not extended family as a general rule. I do have a cousin that I think I will buy for this year because she is just starting out on her own and has no support from her family.

I'm spending about $150 per child. I will spend about $200 on each of my parents. The kids is all coming from earned Amazon gift cards, so that doesn't affect our budget.

DH doesn't buy for me, ever, so I'm not going to bother getting him anything this year.

I'm tired of toys and clutter so I am being very, very deliberate with Christmas purchases.

4boys1girlforme 10-08-2012 11:38 AM

I start Christmas shopping over the summer (and am almost done!). I guess we try to spend about $100 per child- less for babies and toddlers- more for tweens/teens. I like to get one large and one small present or 4-5 small/medium presents. We are focusing on staying away from toys that require difficult clean up.:giggle: