Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Dec (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Irritated with family! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451658)

darkempriss 10-08-2012 09:36 AM

Irritated with family!

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to a lot of you...but my family is irritating me lol. DH and I want to try cloth diapering and this is our first baby, we've done all the research and are fully prepared to attempt it and have told others in our family (to be fair I only have my parents and brother here, the rest of the family is his extended side), and they are SOOO negative about it!

I'm actually quite shocked that we have received almost zero support, we get comments all the time like "ya good luck with that *snicker*", "ya right, there's no way you'll keep up with that", "are you crazy?". GEEZ people, I know that we have no idea what to really expect, but a little support would be nice! I'm sure a lot of them remembered what it was like to be first-time moms and I'm sure a little support over negativity would have been greatly helpful!

Just a small rant and some food for thought...even if the new parent sounds naive to you...be a little encouraging at least!

Edensmomma 10-08-2012 05:42 PM

Re: Irritated with family!

I got the same response when we decided to go ''natural'' for the birth but you know what? I did it! And it was awesome! So, in your face, negative family members! :giggle:

Don't listen to other people, you can do whatever you set out to do if it's important to you. Most people are grossly misinformed about cloth diapers anyway. They pictures the old rubber pants with pins and towels. :giggle:

charirosey 10-10-2012 03:17 AM

My BFF was completely negative abt CDing when I was pregnant with my first and I was talking abt it. She said she had tried it before when her sister far her some diapers and it was worthless (se had some cheapy prefolds and covers from gerber). Not long after I had my LO was she CDing too! I still give her a hard time abt it :-p

Hang in there bc this is just one of the many things you will get negative remarks from family and friends. Ppl are very vocal abt their opinions anymore whether you want to hear it or not.

redlichen 10-15-2012 11:10 PM

You don't need anyone's support unless they are going to be caregivers -often.
For times when you are visiting or traveling disposables are ok.
I CDed and my girl was in underwear at 16 months, in the USA.
I wish your friends & family could be nicer about it. You could comeback with the point that they might think cloth is gross but changing a 4 year old's diaper is way grosser.

my2sweets 10-16-2012 07:24 AM

Had to giggle mama! At my sisters babyshower I got her some cding stuff and we had 4 family members pipe up when she opened it. 'oh you'll never stick with that!' and 'are you nuts?!' Followed by yeahs and laughing. I smiled and said 'Ive been doing it for over 2yrs.' No one was laughing then-except me of course :giggle2:

Just make sure you get a diaper sprayer(which will come in handy for cleaning lil potties, bath tubs, heavily soiled clothes,too lol)

Fashionably Green Baby 10-16-2012 07:35 AM

Yep, people are downers sometimes. I have been cloth diapering for 3 1/2 years straight and currently have 2 in diapers. Someone STILL brought me disposable diapers for my youngest even though they KNOW we do cloth. My youngest is 15 months and has never once worn a disposable diaper. EVER. I am really dedicated toy cloth and I still get nay-Sayers. People are just silly sometimes

fadingdawn 10-16-2012 11:18 AM

I definitely understand how you feel. We got side-eyed by both families when we told them we were going to do cloth, and they asked if we were sure over and over. I'm sure they still think we're crazy, but they don't protest when we talk about it any more! Plus they have learned a lot since we have started building up our stash. Like others have said, most people are totally uneducated when it comes to things like CD'ing, natural birth, etc. I'm more than happy to teach them :)

mommatomymiracle 10-16-2012 01:36 PM

We haven't really had opposition from our families, though my mom was a little apprehensive about BG 4.0 (she had only heard of FB and recommended those). She was here with us for about a week before DS was born, and 2.5 weeks after. Never having seen modernized CDs, she was hesitant, but after she used them she became a believer, and has been recommending them to anyone who's expecting!

We've had opposition from friends, though, wrinkling their noses and asking if we're using a diaper service. Thankfully we have several friends who CD, so we've got some great support!

snoggle 10-28-2012 04:05 PM

I've no hassle from my family about CDing or natural delivery, but I have from plenty of other people. I've been told I'm crazy and that moms of newborns have to much to do to worry about washing diapers (Uh, really, cause using my modern washing machine takes up soooo much time???? I do laundry on a very regular basis anyway, what's the big deal?). I had one friend get really pissy about it on FB and the thing was, I hadn't criticized him or his wife at all for using disposables. Defensive much?

I received disposables at my baby shower and formula feeding supplies from someone else. Even though these people knew my plans. I love proving people wrong, so it just inspires me to try that much harder with my plans!

The thing is, my family is very supportive of CDing, breastfeeding, and natural childbirth, but I still get crap about plenty of other stuff. My mother INSISTS that it is stupid to get anything in newborn sizes. I had a bunch of newborn stuff given to me, I actually didn't buy any of it. But my mother insists it is a waste and I should get rid of it all, since all of her babies were 8+ pounds. She really doesn't believe babies come any smaller. My husband and his brother were well less than 6 pounds, full-term. My hubby is a small guy. I'm shortish and my weight is normal. My mother was morbidly obese and had untreated gestational diabetes - we might have all been much smaller than 8 pounds if it weren't for that. So, it isn't outside of the realm of possibility that I will have a 6 or 7 pounder. Mom was actually pissy when I told her that DS measured at the 30th percentile on my ultrasound! So, if it isn't CDing, it's something else for people to give you crap about!

AniMommy 10-30-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoggle
The thing is, my family is very supportive of CDing, breastfeeding, and natural childbirth, but I still get crap about plenty of other stuff. My mother INSISTS that it is stupid to get anything in newborn sizes. I had a bunch of newborn stuff given to me, I actually didn't buy any of it. But my mother insists it is a waste and I should get rid of it all, since all of her babies were 8+ pounds. She really doesn't believe babies come any smaller. My husband and his brother were well less than 6 pounds, full-term. My hubby is a small guy. I'm shortish and my weight is normal. My mother was morbidly obese and had untreated gestational diabetes - we might have all been much smaller than 8 pounds if it weren't for that. So, it isn't outside of the realm of possibility that I will have a 6 or 7 pounder. Mom was actually pissy when I told her that DS measured at the 30th percentile on my ultrasound! So, if it isn't CDing, it's something else for people to give you crap about!

I was 9 lbs something and so was my brother and my mom smoked with both of us (hey it was the early 70's). DH was 7lbs. My DD was 6 lbs at 41+3 weeks.

Pretty much any time I get unsolicited advice I disagree with, I smile and nod and
change the subject.

Keep all the disposables you get, you can return them to a place like walmart w/o a receipt and get something you like. Or if that bothers you donate to a womens shelter.