Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you do the circus? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451670)

MamaNae 10-08-2012 10:16 AM

Do you do the circus?

The B&B circus is in the state...so many of my IRL friends are going...

It's weird because I was raised anti-circus and my kids have never been (nor will they) because of the treatment of animals. It seems I'm in a minority that boycotts the circus...

So, do you do the circus?

Fairycat 10-08-2012 10:22 AM

Re: Do you do the circus?

No! Not for us. I hate the way the animals are treated at those things. The last time one was in our old town a friend tried to talk us into going, we told her no thanks. She came home and said even her kids noticed how badly the animals were treated, she said no one really had that good of time, since some of it just seemed sad or mean. Lately I have heard from several people they took their kids and left feeling bad, and feeling like the experience was not good. I think more people are becoming aware of these things and hopefully they will eventually change or go away.

danielle 10-08-2012 10:33 AM

No circus. It makes me queasy. We go to live performances of people, though, and they do fun things and are treated much better than circus animals.

stevensmom 10-08-2012 10:37 AM

no circus here either...would much rather see people perform or to just go to the zoo and see animals

wordmama 10-08-2012 10:40 AM

Nope - no circus or marineland for our family. the only place we go to where animals are the entertainment are zoos. Even then, we only go to zoos that have large, natural enclosures for the animals and who are dedicated to research and breeding programs that help endangered animals I try to teach my children that animals deserve our respect and protection, and I find actions speak WAY louder than words.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

waterisntsomething 10-08-2012 10:42 AM

It's been a really long time but the last time I went (probably 4 or 5 years ago) I don't remember there really being any animals. Maybe little ponies but nothing other than that. It was one of the large troups too.

I do zoos although I still feel kind of bad. I definitely don't do aeaworld..anywhere that has orcas and large marine mammals that should be migrating thousands of miles. I love aquariums though.

sisu 10-08-2012 10:50 AM

No. I remember going as a child, and even then it just seemed so... sad. And I can't stomach the smell.

mibarra 10-08-2012 10:55 AM

I don't think we've ever had a Circus in town except the Shrine Circus, which is always a scheduling conflict, so I've never even though about it.

jbug_4 10-08-2012 11:10 AM

I haven't since I was a kid like 11 years old I think. I have never even thought about animal treatment. We can't and won't go regardless. I can't breath because of allergies with the straw and animals and dd is allergic to peanuts- so big fat never going to the circus.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-08-2012 11:10 AM

I've never thought that much about it. I put other because I don't have a strong stance on it one way or the other. My kids have never been, oldest is almost 7. I'm not sure I'm interested in taking them if it was around, but I'm not strongly against them either.